win 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by old_ireland, Jan 24, 2015.

1. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

I have a question with Windows 8.1 to 10 , should i wait. have just upgraded to AC asus , n surfboard modem . am on cox prefferd . i stream alot ; tv n computers . my new l/top is HP envy with ac pro wireless ( ac ) with a geforce 2 gb card ' 16 gb ram . intel I-7
    should i wait on free upgrade to win 10

the hp is using classic shell 8 with pailmoon

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

WAIT Windows 10 is beginning beta. You do not want to use that on your working computer. It will not be ready for release until

3. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

that is what i thought , mostly every PC i have is either Win7 or 8.1 which is 5 comps
    how will i know what is correct download . am sure microsoft won't notify me . should still wait after the release for bugs n errors , before downloading

and many thanks

4. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

thanks again i will wait

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Hope it is not part of a windows app to upgrade. All of my windows 8.1 computers are set as local or domain accounts. Most like it will just be set as an upgrade to what one has.

6. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

thanks everyone . you all were very helpfull :cool

7. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

while i am here why doesn't m/geeks remember my password on-- firefox

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Because you haven't saved the proper cookies.

I have no problem here on FF and Palemoon.

9. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

ok thanks again will look at my settings

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Really WAIT as its still beta and I'm annoyed that MSFT have offered this in the general updates list as a tick, this should only IMHO be a option.

Running Win 10 on two PCs one netbook (Direly slow its running) and a desktop its not worth contemplating at all yet... while I love Microsoft OS's and have defended them on this forum and others over the years this one is woeful! at present in its current form.

Right click in Windows update Windows 10 tech and HIDE.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Personally, I'm looking forward to installing windows 10 as an upgrade to windows 8.1. I like the look and feel of the OS. I don't mind the many changes that they have done.

This is in contrast when I upgraded to a beta of Vista, that took about 4+ hours to install, then found many issues. But, that was a beta. I did eventually upgrade to vista with no issues.

Though, at that time I was running about 12 GB ram, E6600 cpu, etc. Gpu was either a 5870 or gtx 280 can't remember, I have both, not sure which was better.

I've been running windows 10 in a VM and it has been running great. Except for the hdd access, but that is mainly cause I'm watching videos on the same drive that the VM is running from, hence why I need to buy a SSD to just run VMs on.

12. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I actually like windows 10, i tested it for about 1 month in the technical version and most of the programs i use for windows7 worked, however i didn't use it too much so its possible others who used it more have encountered issues/bugs.

For those that have windows 7 and 8.1 and decide to upgrade , will the license for windows 7 and 8.1 still work if one doesn't like the overall function of windows 10?

Do people need to pay an annual fee for windows 10, i could have sworn they wanted to make it like a subscription but i wasn't sure

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds