dvd drive and cd burner disappeared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by diamonddave76, Oct 30, 2006.

1. diamonddave76

diamonddave76 Private E-2

Somehow my dvd rom drive and my cd burner are not showing up in my computer. I was trying to burn a cd and it kept saying that no drives were detected. I went to my computer on desktop and neither one of them are showing up. I went to bios and reset defaults but still the same problem. Both of the drives are still getting power casue they both light up when computer is started. There was one time i started the computer and they were there and then later when i turned it on again they were gone. How can I fix this problem?

2. rafal

rafal Private E-2

Right click on [My Computer]->[Properties]->[Hardware]->[Device Manager].
    What does it say under DVD/CD-ROM drives? A similar question just like this was posted earlier. Check maybe your problem was solved there.

3. diamonddave76

diamonddave76 Private E-2

They are not listed in device manager. Could you give me a link to the other question?

4. jeannie

jeannie Private E-2

This happened to me recently. The thing that finally resolved it was reseating the cable to the motherboard. (But first I updated Windows XP pro from Windows updates and installedewido - I'm not sure this had anything to do with the solution however- because drives were still not recognised until I pulled out and reseated ribbon cable!). Give it a try, hey?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds