Problem with Adobe Flash Player

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 19, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Compaq Tower with Vista Home Premium - No Service Pack - according to the list of installed programs in the control panel's "Program's and Features", Adobe's latest Flash Player is installed. But if I go to any web site that uses it (like Major Geeks ;) ) I get the yellow bar across the top of the window claiming that I need to install the Flash Player Add-On. If I try to install it, it appears to install, but the next time I visit a site that uses Flash Player, I get the yellow bar again. So it seems that Flash Player is not 'talking' to Internet Explorer (version 7). I have tried uninstalling Flash Player using Adobe's uninstall tool and by using the 'Uninstall' option in "Programs and Features". It doesn't make a difference. Would installing IE8 possibly fix this problem? I'm probably going to install SP1 for Vista anyway, but could it possibly fix this problem? Does anyone have any other ideas, thoughts, fixes, or suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi dlb

Is this Vista 64bit? and using the 64bit IE? if so then need to use the 32bit version of IE that comes with 64bit OS, as Adobe have no 64bit Flash player version (they have a linux beta but no Windows one) as yet.

If not 64bit, then in safe mode uninstall Flash using the Adobe uninstaller, and then using the full Flash downloadable install it again in safe mode.

If that no work and as you installed it and it still pops up it may just need you to get past a UAC block, so to do this naviagate to

In 64bit Windows
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

In 32bit Windows
    C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

and open the Flash folder and right click and Run as Adminstrator the file FlashUtil9b or FlashUtil10c depending on if Flash 9 or 10 was installed and allow past UAC prompt if given and follow the Adobe Wizard.

Seems latest versions of Flash are causing various issues not just on Vista but XP also, took me a week of given steps to a collegue in work on similar issue in XP to get it installed ok.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks Halo. It's 32bit Vista Home Premium, no Service Pack (installing SP1 today). I'll try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:( :cry I tried uninstalling/reinstalling in Safe Mode, no go. So I went to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash but there is NO file named FlashUtil9b or FlashUtil10c!!! The closest thing was a file named something like NSW_FlashUtil.exe (it might have started with NFSW or something real close to that). I don't know the exact file name 'cuz I uninstalled it. I have 2 different Flash Player installers on my flash drive, they have the same name except one has an "_ax" tacked on the end. So I tried this "_ax" one, and it indeed did install with the FlashUtil10c file as it should. Now when I visit sites that use Flash Player, I don't get the pop up "Insgtall the Active X Add-on", but none of the flash graphics work as they should. But now that I have this installer "_ax" that appears to be more 'correct', I'll go thru the above steps again and see if it works.
    :banghead

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have tried all of the above suggestions numerous times in safe mode, normal mode, safe mode with networking, and no go. I have used 3 different installers, and none of 'em work. They all install, but no online action from sites that use flash. I've even tried some of the archived installers from Adobe, and none of those worked.. :cry :banghead :cry :banghead

So, right now, I can go to all sites, and the ones that use flash do not pop-up the yellow "install this add-on" bar, and I get no errors, but I get no flash animations either.
    :(

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:celebrate :hyper :dancer

As a 'last ditch' effort, I installed SP1 for Vista and it totally worked!!! Flash Player is working perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds