R300 display driver keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Software' started by oraya, Oct 13, 2009.

1. oraya

oraya Private E-2

I am so hoping you can help as I am now lost for what to do next. And as this is the place I send so many friends with trojan/virus problems who need help, I am now hoping that you guys may be able to help me.

My display driver crashes regularly when ever I try to watch any videos. Youtube mainly when it's full screen, and any videos in real player, media player etc even if it isn't full screen. It's driving me nuts. It must happen at least forty or fifty times a day. I've checked on my laptop manufacturers website(Packard bell) for updates and also on the drivers manufacturers website, nothing. No update or any suggested solutions. And as I don't know enough about it to look for third party drivers, I'm lost as to what to do next. The display driver listed in device manager is: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series

I would be soooo grateful if you had any ideas on how I may resolve this once and for all!!

Many thanks in advance for any help given.

Kind regards,
    Oraya

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

My first advice - go to your computers manufacturers website, and download any updated drivers indicated for your computer.

If that doesn't solve the issue download some codecs from this site.

3. oraya

oraya Private E-2

Hiya Spad,

Firstly thank you very much for the reply. I did try that, there is nothing there, and I also tried the drivers ATI RADEON website, nothing there either. I then tried updating driver through device manager, and it said I have the latest version. I'm now at a lose as to what to do. I haven't any idea about third party drivers so hence my help plea here. :)

Which codecs would you suggest I try? I'm running windows vista home premium.

Many thanks for any help you are able to give,
    Linda

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you have a crash then in the Event Viewer in likely Application or System logs is their a crash message at the time of one of these crashes, maybe worth trying to replicate the crash and then look in the Event Viewer (Event Viewer is located easily in Vista by clicking the Start Orb and in the Start Search box type Event and it should show)?

If its a YouTube video then YouTube uses Abobe Flash to present videos, so quick make sure you have latest Adobe Flash Player and latest is HERE

Also run CCleaner and its Cleaner tool, dont change any settings just run at defualt settings (but note you may need to enter user name and passwords for sites you auto logon to as this app deletes the cookies that store these passwords etc)

5. oraya

oraya Private E-2

Thank you Hallo,

I am going to go try what you have suggested and see what happens. I'll report back later.

Very grateful for all the help!

6. oraya

oraya Private E-2

Hiya again Halo,

I tried all that you suggested, sadly it didn't make any difference. And I don't know what I am looking for in the events viewer, there are hundreds of events! Could you explain to me if you don't mind where I should be looking?

Again many, many thanks for any help anyone is able to give.
    Kind regards

Oraya

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Open Event Viewer and then open say Application logs and look down the list for a re ! mark and Error mentioned (see image from a crash of an application I was testing) best it to open YouTube and see if it crashes on you then you will have current crash message near the top of the list.

[​IMG]

Post the info or a screenshot from the error once clicked.

What Browser are you using to watch YouTube videos?

What is your Make and Model of PC, if its an R300 then that can cover Toshiba and HP/Compaq models?

Do me a favour and in Vista goto Device Manager and then double click Display Adapters then double click the graphic card mentioned under displasy adapters and click the Driver tab and tell me the Driver Date and Driver Version? Ati the maker of the Radeon xpress 200M have a Vista driver dated 8/28/2009 so if yours is older then this would be wise to update to see if it cures this crashing issue.

Dont know if you are running 32bit or 64bit Vista, but drivers are here, just click the version of Vista you have then Integrated/Motherboard then scroll down in the 3rd box to Radeon Xpress 200M.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds