problem: Avira Antivir/windows7

Discussion in 'Software' started by appreciative1, Dec 18, 2009.

1. appreciative1

appreciative1 Private E-2

Hi,

I need help!
    Brand new computer, Dell xps8000, i7 chip and windows 7 home premium edition 64 bit preinstalled. I chose to install Avira AntiVir free edition as I was content with it on my XP system for the last 1 or 2 years. It seemed to install fine, I was able to update, scan, and make a change in the scheduler. Following day windows7 is alerting me that I don't have an antivirus program installed. The security center is indicating no antivirus. It showed Avira the previous day. Avira also no longer works. The guard cannot be activated and updates results in error. windows 7 then provides a list(of sorts) to chose from and Avira is not on the list. whether its a compatibilty issue or not I'd be content to just uninstall Avira, however I can't in the usual fashion. the Windows uninstaller does work,one of the very few other programs that i did install was CCleaner and it cannot uninstall either, although Avira appears on the list of programs. I tried system restore to the earliest restore point listed however this too resulted in an error the message saying something about an antivirus program. I'm frustrated and am looking for help. I would think instructions on how to manually uninstall is what I'm after but I'll take all suggestions.
    In addition on restart I get an error message concerning "mom.implementation"or one of its dependencies".
    I did not download or have preinstalled any other antivirus or antispyware programs. Just Zonealarm firewall, ccleaner, smartfrag, openoffice, and belarc advisor.
    I'll be happy to supply any other details that seem necessary if asked.
    Thanks, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Had a similar problem recently with Windows Updates.Seems the firewall was too aggressive.
    Try turning it off when doing your scans and updating.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds