Daughter's Wedding

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sibeer, May 4, 2012.

1. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

My oldest daughter is getting married in a couple of weeks (May 19).

http://www.mywedding.com/chrisandshawnaswedding/index.html

She asked me to pick out a song for the father/daughter dance. Crap, I have to dance when I'm not drunk...with everyone watching me!
    This will be a waltz type dance, therefore a slower song. Very hard to find a suitable choice in my collection that isn't either dark and heavy, or guy/girl couple. A lyric like "Baby baby you turn me on" just won't cut it.
    No country, no pop, no easy listening, so I came up with a handful of Incubus tunes.
    I think it will be between these two. What do you think?

Drive

Talk Shows on Mute

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Will it actually be a waltz, or just a slow dance? What style of music do you prefer?

Of the two you've posted, my vote is for Drive. Talk Show on Mute has a restless "is this over yet"-type of beat and feel to it that just doesn't fit with the mood I associate with weddings. Then again, we didn't actually have dancing on mine... ;)

3. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Gosh...music selection is such a personal preference...if you don't mind my comment, neither of your selections appear to be music for a "waltz type dance".

May I suggest as an aide to finding what you feel comfortable with and suitable for a "waltz type dance" that you and/or your daughter speak with the wedding organiser/band/disc jockey who will be providing music for the wedding for suggestions. Albeit they'll find something you'll like!

Congrats on the impending wedding...you'll have a grand time I'm sure.

Cheers

LS

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

First of all....what a beautiful couple. Congrats to them both, and to you, sibeer.:)

Second...this made me laugh:
    LOL I never would have thought of Incubus as a father/daughter wedding dance. Drive is one of my all time faves though!

Not sure how you feel about John Mayer, but he's got one that pretty good for father/daughter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZLbUIa7exE&ob=av3e

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

From a Waltz, POV- I like the "Drive."
    Just the right tempo.
    The song itself, has a beautiful message from father to daughter. Not sure if the In-laws & their guests, would errmm like .
    If I may quote the lyrics.

Maybe I read too deep.

All the same, congratulations to the entire family. Heath and happiness to all.
    cheers..

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

7. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

It's probably more of a slow dance. My daughter is ok with Drive, but she said she'd be ok with something heavy, I just don't know if it would work. I tend to be a headbanger, but I like a pretty broad spectrum. She's the same with a broader spectrum. I don't like most wedding music though. It tends to be safe and boring.

I looked through his father/daughter list at his website, all safe and boring.

thanks Laura, she takes after her mother:-D.
    I like the John Mayer song. Maybe I'll put it to her, to see if she's just humouring me with Drive.

8. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I see what you mean about the quote:-D. Hopefully they don't read too deep.

Never, ever in a million years would you see me up dancing like that. My son and both my daughters would do that in a heartbeat, but not the old man.. I'll say the same thing I say about kareoke, If I'm up on stage singing, I'm drunk, and I've already streaked the place.:-D

9. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yeah, congrats to your daughter and you and the rest of the family, Sibeer :cool. I think that my wedding was the last time I danced a Waltz, (well seriously, anyway - 'Jigging around' don't really count, LoL!), and that was over 31 years ago.
    Maybe you could play 'The Last Larger Waltz', or some such, LoL!;)

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Congrats on your daughters wedding, but on music to dance to... well you're on your own ;)

11. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

LOL...know what you mean...I reckon Laura cracked it with her choice. It's contemporary while the music is conducive for a Waltz!

Music is personal...Weddings are a celebration and I reckon you and your daughter should have whatever you like...also, if you don't want to maintain the tradition of the Waltz, then you should have whatever you are happy with!

Cheers

LS

12. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Congrats to your daughter and you Sibeer:)

13. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

This.

The whole idea of this dance is for you and your daughter to celebrate the fact that she's found a person she wants to spend the rest of her life with, and that person feels the same way about her. Do it your way, with your music, for the two of you, and enjoy this moment together. :)

14. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I ran "Drive" past my other daughter tonight. She's very opinionated, but hasn't got back to me yet. If there was a poll the split is about 50/50 on the choice of song with those I've spoken to, including you guys here, so I may still change my mind.

15. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Ok, I've got my good clothes packed, clean socks and underwear. Car's all gassed up.
    And I've just finished my speech for the reception. It's funny, if I can pull it off. Delivery is everything you know.
    Leaving for Kelowna in the morning. :cool I will be four days.

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Have a great time sibeer at the wedding :)

17. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have a safe trip.
    And congrats to the newlyweds.

We WILL want to see some pics.

18. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

And video. We always love to see video.

I wonder why no country. 'I loved her first' is made for this kind of thing.

19. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Hi folks. It's the day after, the wedding and reception were outstanding, and my daughter was stunningly beautiful. I'm not being biased (much) as you will see when we get home and I can set up some pics. The DJ came up with an acoustic version of Drive, which was really good, but the dance was not great because I'm a worse dancer than I thought. I blamed the song, until others joined in and they had no problem dancing to it. Shawna didn't care at all.
    Sorry Triaxx,no video (thank god) so you guys won't be laughing at my dance.
    One more family event tonight, then home. I'll bore you then with more details.

20. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Finally have access to some of the pictures at my daughter's wedding. One of my favorites is the second one posted below. Nothing says confidence like a girl leading a group while drinking a beer:cool.
    My son and other daughter are both in the wedding party, however I don't have any pictures tagged.
    The weather was perfect on the day, everything went smoothly, no one got really hammered (gotta like a cash bar).
    There's a bunch of really great pictures on Photobucket. I recommend checking them out. The link is available under my biography here.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds