RAM advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dnicu26, Dec 27, 2005.

1. dnicu26

dnicu26 Private E-2

Hi all,
    I would like to buy another 512 MB RAM card. I don't know what type I need though, as there are so many different types. I've got attached my DxDiag if that helps, if not, could you tell me how I can check please?
    If this helps at all?: PC world RAM cards
    I would also like some advice whether or not that will improve performance in gaming and if not, what would improve the performance in?

Attached Files:

2. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Disregard..apologies!:)

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I read your post and looked at the file that was attached. Noticed that you were using a stand alone video card and not onboard graphics. While, I'm not a gamer, I doubt that adding more memory would help you, as you already have 1 gig, if I read the file correctly. System memory shouldn't cause problems with video, but I will leave that to more experienced gamers! Hope this helps!:)

4. dnicu26

dnicu26 Private E-2

Thanks Novice, I read reports that games run more smoothly if there is more RAM. This may not be true.
    What else do you recommend I could improve? Something in the region of £50?

5. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I reread you attached file! How much physical memory is installed in your system? As you stated, usually more RAM makes things easier and this is true. My initial reply was based on skimming your post. You have a 256 meg video card, correct?:)

6. dnicu26

dnicu26 Private E-2

Yep, 600x, not very good. I'll upgrade it for my birthday. What do you mean by physical memory? Harddrive I have around 200GB I think. 1GB memory..

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

By physical memory, I meant the memory chips installed on your motherboard. As you confirmed what I thought that I read in the attached file, 1 gig memory, then installing 512 megs more probably will not help you. That is why I left the answer open to more experienced gamers. You have a decent video card ( by todays standards ) and you didn't mention what your specifc problem was.

Installing more RAM will not help/correct a problem with a video card!:)

8. theguy

theguy Private E-2

Well, according to the dxdiag, you have 1024mb of memory which is more than enough for most games, unless you're playing BF2. If you want to increase gaming performance, upgrade your video card. I'm not exactly sure how much £50 will get you though... what's that in dollars?

9. dnicu26

dnicu26 Private E-2

I am playing BF2 :p. Maybe I won't upgrade it just yet. That's about $70 I guess. I'm not looking to buy a graphics card now, my mother promised me to get me the 1800 in may for my birthday.
    I heard that the XL version that is on sale now has a significantly lower clockspeed than a non XL version. Is that true? When would the other versions be released?

10. theguy

theguy Private E-2

Well if you're playing BF2 and since you'll be getting an x1800, you may want to get that extra gigabyte of RAM. BF2 is one of those games that when you max out the settings, it will utilize more than 1gb, and with that card coming, you can max it out. But right now it won't make a difference.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or just lower the resolution on the game. Just play at 1024x768, with no AA or AF.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds