Computer frequently freezes/stutters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by finitesd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. finitesd

finitesd Private E-2

Every once in a while my brand new Gateway Laptop will just freeze for about 10 seconds and then return to normal. During the freeze everything is unresponsive and all sounds skip and makes a really annoying stuttering sound. If I'm watching a video when this occurs, the video freezes (sound skips) and after the freeze, the audio resumes but the video will stay paused for a few seconds and then speed up to catch up with the sound. I noticed on the task manager that my CPU usage goes to 100% during these freezes and then returns to normal after (0-10%). It happens on average about once every half hour. Although, sometimes it happens every five minutes. I have no idea what the problem could be. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Windows XP
    RAM: 5.27GB (3.40 free)
    Hard Drive: 69.2GB (25.2 free)

I'm not sure what other information will be helpful. Let me know if you need more and I'll post it.

Thanks for your time

Jeff Corbin

2. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Sounds like you may have on power hungry program running while doing all of this, that could be your problem.

Or you may want to give Gateway a call and put their customer service to use, might be something they messed up on.

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

If you have software for a Multi-Function Printer, Scanner, Fax machine, try disabling the software when your not using it. The software spends a lot of time looking for the printer especially when it's not connected to the machine.

I have a Canon MF machine and only use it as a stand alone fax because the software does what you are describing on a P-4 2G machine when installed.

4. finitesd

finitesd Private E-2

Yesterday I installed Sensorsview Pro to monitor my temperatures and cpu usage. I let it run all day today while I was away from my computer and it showed that no freeze ups occured, (I also had Utorrent downloads going).

The minute I sat down at my laptop and opened a music folder it froze on me. And It froze again after I opened my internet browser.

JtC

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds