"System Failed VGA Test"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by niterain, Dec 2, 2005.

1. niterain

niterain Private E-2

I recently purchased a new BFG GeForce 7800GTX OC PCI-E 256MB video card, and an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ATX S939 NFORCE4 SLI DDR 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard to go along with it. I've been using it with no problems for the last 6 days or so. But yesterday morning I went to turn it on, and during POST the motherboard beeped and a voice over came over the speakers saying "System Failed VGA Test"; no display on the monitor. I let it go and i heard windows start up, so i have a hunch that my video card is defective, and that its not the motherboard. I tryed a CMOS reset and that didnt help. Made sure that the video card was in place properly - again no go. I began to look on the internet for solutions, and ended up with a bunch of dead ends. However last night I decided to try turning the computer on again for kicks, and oddly enough it started up with no problem. So i went to set up my BIOS settings again and it froze while i was doing so. So i restarted again and I am back to square one with the nice female voice over "System failed VGA test". Is anyone able to shed some light on my problem, or should would you reccomend packing up the vid card and sending it in for a replacement (under warrenty)?

Any Help would be great.

Thanks

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum :)

I think your psu may not be giving your card enough juice,do you know the name of your psu? and have you connected the pci-e extra power connector?If your psu doent have one you can buy an adaptor for only a few $ that will enable you to use a molex jack,although a new psu would be the prefrred option

I doubt its overheating in the few secs it takes to turn on your computer but it may be worth checking the vid card heatsink hasnt vibrated loose and is firmly attached,also check the fan is spinning on the card and the fan is still connected

3. niterain

niterain Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, iam not sure which PSU i have at the moment - iam i class right now. I will have to check when i get home. However - yes I do have the extra connecter plugged into the Vid card. Someone on a different board thought something along the same lines, he said:

"This could be caused by using a 20-pin power supply or 20-pin to 24-pin power adapter. ASUS SLI boards need a 24-pin power supply especially when using a PCI-E video card"

Now iam not sure if this is what you meant. The PSU i am using has 20 pins and then another set of 4 which connects elsewhere. I was told that this is the same as having 24 pins plugged into the main plug.

Also would my computer have worked with no problems for the last 6 days even though i needed a new PSU?? Because I've been using it just fine up until yesterday. But yea i'll get the name of my PSU when iam at home again.

4. Rikky

No prob,your board needs 3 power connectors a 24 pin motherboard power jack,4 pin 12v atx and a pci-e molex connector,this is only really needed when your running 2 cards sli but can help keep single cards stable if they cant draw enough current through the pci-e port

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. niterain

niterain Private E-2

K. So i went out and bought a new proper PSU for the mobo, and it still doesn't work. Any other ideas?

6. Rikky

Proper PSU :confused: ,did you have all the connectors jacked in beforehand,if not which ones :confused: what was the brand\model of your old psu :confused:What kind of psu have you bought brand\model :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds