Identifing ports for monitors and slots for graphics cards. (should be simple)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eddiemoney, Jan 10, 2007.

1. eddiemoney

eddiemoney Private E-2

I am going to buy my ow graphics card soon and would like to check that my monitor is acctually going to plug into it.

I would like to buy this card:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=118475&_LOC=UK

but I do not know if I will be able to plug my monitor into it.

it says I need a "DVI or VGA compatible monitor" but I am not sure what these are.

Also, I am 99% sure it will plug into my PC in a PCIe16 slot. but I am not absolutly sure that I have one of these.

Please use the pictures in the attached zip folder to tell me if I can have this card.

Thanks very much!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

The white plug is DVI, the blue is the "older" VGA plug. Round middle is tv out.

So, the specs of your card you want to get say:
    Output - Dual-Link DVI, TVO

That means dual DVI (2 white plugs) and one round (tv out). No VGA out, which should be common on newer hardware, VGA is old school.

In your pictures, that looks like the video card in the back of your PC, not the back of your monitor, SO, if your monitor also has those wider, white connections, then your all set. If not, you can get an adapter, but the quality will not be there making it work, but almost pointless, so a new monitor is a better idea.

3. eddiemoney

eddiemoney Private E-2

So the blue plug is VGA?

so, if I used an adapter there would be not point in upgrading my graphics card?

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Blue is VGA. An adapter makes it work, but its not going to do all the advanced graphics. If you have only VGA on your monitor, consider a monitor upgrade first, the video cards will get cheaper too, but monitors are dropping like crazy in price, especially LCD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds