New Computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SEvic, Feb 22, 2007.

1. SEvic

SEvic Private E-2

I want to buy a new computer and I hope it isn't DIY because I do not know how to fix it up espacially with the motherboard. My budget is Singapore Dollars 1800 and I have decided to play some games comming out this year. This is the recommended specs for the game and they said better specs may be required in future because of expensions etc.

• Windows® 2000/XP
    • 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible computer
    • 100% DirectX compatible keyboard or input device
    • Processor 3.0 GHz Intel or 3500+ AMD processor
    • 2 GB RAM
    • Vertex and Pixel shader 2.0 compatible hardware with 256MB of texture memory
    • DirectSound compatible audio hardware
    • Broadband Internet Connection
    • 16X Speed DVD-ROM
    • 20 Gigabytes Hard Drive Space

Would this be a good spec that I can get at SG$1800?

The second question I'd like to ask is
    How do you maintain a new computer and make it last for another 4years?
    Do I have to clean the hardwares?
    Does it heat up fast?
    If it's a DIY computer, where can I find information on how to install those Windows software programmes? Sorry, I'm VERY new with this things and need opinions.

EDIT :Opps, I just recalled this is about Hardwares.

Thanks.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

For anyone else who wants to help, $1800 Singapore Dollars is a bit more than $1150 USD.

SEvic: Nearly any new computer will match those specs. In your search, dont rely heavily on a 3.0ghz mark for intel, as newer processors might be rated lower, but performance may be higher than an old intel 3.0ghz. If you find a machine and have a question about the processor, feel free to ask for an opinion here.

Since you don't seem very eager to build your own machine and you are interested in gaming, you should make sure to look for a higher end video/graphics card. You're also going to want at least 1GB of RAM, preferably 2GB, but keep in mind there are good deals on RAM often, so 1GB would not be a deal breaker.

A nicely equipped computer should last around 3 years before a major upgrade is required to play the current line of games. Often times, a video card upgrade will suffice after a few years and allow you to stretch the computer over another couple years.

As far as maintenence:
    It is always a good idea to open up the computer and blow out any dust roughly once a year. This will help prevent overheating and the chance of static build-up.

If you need help looking for a computer, ask and I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations of where to look. If you are very interested in building your own (DIY), we can help you choose which components would be a good fit. Installing Windows and other software isnt very hard, but can be aggrevating at times to a novice user.

3. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

8800gtx
    4 gbs of ram
    windows vista if u want dx10
    500 gb of hdd or 1000 gbs
    blu ray burner
    extreme dual core or quad

I dunno its hard to say, for 4 years? dude thats a tall order....
    Even with the extreme you're gonna have to overclock in the 4 ghz.
    Shoot for like 2 to 3 years, even then youre gonna have to overclock your cessor then sli your 8800 to stand a chance. Ram now can max at 8 gbs, but in 4 years I see ram easily going to 16gbs easy.

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

If you can find or build me that for $1500, i'll take 10 ;-)

as far as compatibility over the years-- I have a coming on 3 year old system that will easily still handle all new games. No overclock required. Sure it could help, but 3 years is about average for a nicer PC, unless you're begging for the most cutting edge graphics and ever frame per second you can manage-- but that requires deep pocket and nice tweaking knowledge. For $1500 a suitable computer can be built.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  5. SEvic

SEvic Private E-2

What does overclock mean?

I don't need very good graphics.. just good enough to admire. I don't need good sound card, just good enough to have quality sounds.

My computer right now is a dual processor 2.80GHz and 1GB of RAM.
    NVIDIA GeForce X 5200 (Microsoft Corporation) -->What does it do? and what does Microsoft Corporation means?

Is this computer still alright? I know my graphics card can't handle games like Battlefield 2, Gears of War, Dark Crusade and I had to lower down the settings for World of Warcraft inorder to stop lagging. I don't know why my graphics card is not performing. Could it be a virus or it's just lousy?

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Your graphics card is the only likely reason you cannot play dark crusade
    your other stats are still fairly current

How old is your current computer ?
    apart from the graphics card it doesnt sound very old.

Would you be wanting to purchase the computer in Singapore
    or would you be willing to import it ?
    (should be able to find what youre after in Singapore)

Any particular games you are looking at ?

7. SEvic

SEvic Private E-2

Sorry, I don't have dual processors :p because they indicated 2 2.80GHz so I got confused.

My computer is about 3years old - 4 years old.
    It's best if I could buy my computer in Singapore, more convenient. :p

I'd like to play Vanguard: Saga of Heros, Battlefield 2 and other beautiful graphics. :drool

8. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

here is a couple of online stores in singapore
    to get you started

http://www.esysglobal.com
    http://computer.onlinestore.sg

It will be easiest for you to ask people you know, where they bought their computers from.
    Even taking your list of stats into local computer stores and asking them what they can build it for

You are likely to want
    160GB Hard drive - 20GB is way to small especially for modern games
    Windows XP SP2 Professional or Windows Vista (newest)
    DVDRW (A DVD Writer) - not just a DVD Player
    Dont be concerned about the audio - even onboard audio will be sufficient

For future gaming you will require
    A good almost top of the line Graphics card
    A current CPU
    minimum of 2GB Ram
    minimim 500W Power Supply

just my opinion
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

To any Geeks out there who are looking for a challenge
    It would be handy if someone who has built a gaming computer recently
    could make detailed suggestions (part numbers & component prices) on what can be built for around $1150.00 USD (for a complete system) using parts from Newegg, tigerdirect or whatever.

From other posts I have read it is possible to build a kick-arse pc in the US for about a grand.

Even better if some geeks from singapore get on board on this one

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds