Can't ping remote computer by IP or name

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rburchill, Jan 1, 2006.

1. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

I'm very frustrated and confused. Any light that can be shed on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Host computer: Dell Dimension 4100, Intel Pentium III processor, 996MHz, 512MB RAM. Motorola Surfboard cable modem connected to Netgear WGR614v6 router. Running Windows XP Pro SP2. One user account w/ password named HOME. Computer name = COMPUTER1.

Remote computer: Emachine T1115, Intel Celeron processor, 996MHz, 256 MB RAM. Netgear WG111 802.11g Wireless USB2.0 network adapter. Running Windows XP Pro SP2. Once user account w/ password named FAMILY. Computer name = COMPUTER2.

Problem: While I can connect to the internet fine from both machines, I cannot ping COMP2 from COMP1 by either IP or name. Can't file share. Can't browse the network. Previously received system error = "Duplicate name exists on the network," but I resolved that somehow?! I know just enough to be dangerous and I think that's the problem. I get very confused by all the options. I'm a very linear thinker just looking for a 1-2-3 type diagnostic checklist approach to solving this. Basically, whenever I'm offered a choice of settings, I'm at a loss.

Again, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What are the IP addresses of both machines?

What is the comnputername for each machine?

Lastly, what firewalls are you using?

3. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

Thanks for the quick response.

IP address of host computer is 192.168.15.102
    IP address of remote comp is 192.168.1.2

Computer name of host is COMPUTER1
    Computer name of remote is COMPUTER2

Not using Windows firewall, it is turned OFF. Only using the Netgear router as firewall protection.

Thanks again.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What are the subnet mask addresses?

5. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\FAMILY>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COMPUTER2
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111 802.11g Wireless USB2.
    0 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B5-90-44-BC
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 01, 2006 4:32:58 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 02, 2006 10:35:55 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\FAMILY>

6. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

Sorry, first of all I submitted duplicate postings when I first submitted my questions. I'm new at this and had a slip of the mouse button.

Secondly, I thought I had posted the results of the ipconfig /all command that I ran on COMPUTER1, but apparently my post didn't take. I'm not at home right now but will post the results of this as soon as possible. I'm not positive, but I THINK that the subnet masks are the same on both machines. Again, I will confirm this when I get home. Thanks again for all your help.

7. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

RESULTS OF IPCONFIG /ALL COMMAND EXECUTED ON COMPUTER1:

C:\Documents and Settings\Home>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COMPUTER1
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : nc.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : nc.rr.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-BD-06-14-5E
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.102
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.25.5.150
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 01, 2006 11:56:45 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 02, 2006 11:56:45 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Home>

8. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Your computers 1 and 2 are on 2 completely different subnets and even have different default gateways.

Can they both use the same internet access?

Hate to do this to you, but can you please give a detailed description of the way the whole network is physically attached (the topology?)

You must have 2 dhcp servers in action which means you must have 2 routers or you have internet connection sharing (ICS) enabled on at least one computer or something.

Are you trying to use a router for a switch? The reason I see 2 dhcp servers (routers, ICS boxes - something) is that each computer has IPs/default gateways/dns server IP/ etc from a completely different scope which means a different source.

However, since the IPs both start with 192.168.x.x and have a subnet mask of /24 they are dhcp leased. They are not apipa (self assigned) or ISP assigned (internet routable.)

We have to find that rogue dhcp server, remove it or shut it down and make sure your physical method of connections will work.

Happy New Year :)

9. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Sorry should have explained - a description of your connections might be like -

"I have a cable modem which is attached by ethernet cable to a xxxxx brand wired/wireless router."

"I have two computers. One is attached directly to the router with an ethernet cable. The other one is upstairs. I don't have a cable long enough to go upstairs, so I used two cables and hooked them together by putting my old router in the middle of them to use as a switch to connect the two cables."

Please be as specific as you can because something is blocking your primary dhcp server and acting as a second, I'm thinking.

10. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

Thanks for your response. I'll give the topology my best shot, but it's going to be in layman's terms. Your question reminded about something that I forgot to mention. I use Vonage as my VOIP service provider, and i have a Netgear router that's a part of my network! It is a Linksys and it sits right beside my Netgear. So sorry that I didn't mention that sooner.

Also, regarding your inquiry about Internet Connection Sharing -- I'm pretty sure that I have that enabled. COMPUTER2 connects to the internet via a wireless adapter.

This is the quick and dirty topology -- I'll gladly go into more detail if you need me to.

Best regards and thanks soooo much

11. techsalong

techsalong Guest

OK, more thoughts. Even though it seems as if you answered some of the questions, please go down the list again because we're looking for a second dhcp and we need everything, even something you missed.

I see that I missed that both can get internet.

One more question: What does "Host" and "Remote" mean when describing the two computers? Why those terms? Does it have something to do with the way they are connected?

How are they connected?

By Host does that imply that it has ICS turned on to be the internet host?

12. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

Please see the attached hand-written topology -- LOL

It's the best I can do

Thx again

Attached Files:

13. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Well we knew there were at least 2 routers and now there are three! ICS is a router too.

OK, which router can you live without, and just hook one to the cable modem and both computers to that one router? Must do...

You don't need and can't have ICS when you have a router. The router IS the connection sharing appliance. Please check both computers and be SURE that ICS is turned off in both. ICS is the reason you had a third dhcp that could toss in a conflict of IPs.

Welcome - Do, and then post back. We'll get this pretty quick.

14. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

Don't know where I came up w/ "HOST" and "REMOTE?" I think your hunch about the fact that COMPUTER2 shares COMPUTER1's internet connection could be where I came up with the terms. These terms may be used by Microsoft in their help files regarding Internet Connection Sharing -- that might be where i picked them up.

I hope that you can open and view my "topology." LOL

The Linksys router was given to me by Vonage. I plug my telephone line into a jack on the side of it, so I guess you could say that my phone line is sharing my internet connection as well.

I will provide you any additional answers that you need!

15. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Nice job on the sketch. OK:

Do you have to have that linksys? Is there something special about it that enables Vonage, or could you do the same job with the netgear wireless? I've never used Vonage...

One of those routers has to go. If you have to have the linksys for some reason known to Vonage, then you can't have wireless, period.

Figure out how to change all of that so that ICS is turned off in both boxes +

You have modem > router > 2 computers hooked to that one router either wired or wireless, depending on Vonage.

Next be sure to boot in the right order. Each appliance depends on the other in this order so reboot each and give it plenty of time to get fully up before you reboot the next:

modem > router > computers in any order.

Do you have the connection icon in the computers' trays so you can single click it, choose the Support tab and then click Repair? Or do you know how to release/renew the computers' IPs at a command prompt? Either will keep you from having to reboot the computers to get fresh IPs from the router.

16. pari22

pari22 Corporal

rburchill,

This could be resolved very very simply. Since Vonage gave you that router for their voIP service, you should probably leave that alone.
    Also, like techsalong has pointed out, you should not have two different settings of DHCP services running on one network.
    So here is simple solution for you to share internet, use wireless, and share files.

ON THE COMPUTER1 AND COMPUTER1 ONLY!
    Go to:
    Start - Control Panel - Network Connections.
    You'll see something like "Local area connection". Right click on the icon and click on the "Properties". Another window will pop up. Find "internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and double click on it.
    tcp/ip setting windows will be opened and it should've checked on "obtain an IP address automatically". right? well check on "use the following IP address" and type in the following.
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

Preferred DNS server : 192.168.1.1

What this does : disables DHCP service recieved from the routers to the com1 and it will put your computer1 in same net with com2 manually. You might need to change some settings in your netgear router (like setting permenant assigned IP address), but most likely, it will work fine without changing.
    Want to share files? Make sure you put both coms in same WORKGROUP and give them sharing rights - this is very simple and listed in the help file within Windows.

Good Luck

17. techsalong

techsalong Guest

OK, I'm a space cadet for sure sometimes. I think we accurately predicted that there were two or more dhcps on the lan, but the more I look at his .pdf sketch, it appears as if both computers are actually hooked to the same router. (the wireless.) One by cable, the other by wireless nic.

I agree that he needs the linksys. The sketch didn't show it, but something was said about the linksys having an RJ11 phone jack, apparently or obviously for the Vonage service.

Now, that netgear wireless router would block a rogue dhcp such as the linksys as job 1, so I'm thinking now that the rogue dhcps are the computers themselves with ICS enabled.

What do you think, considering that?

I'm also thinking that both boxes must have ICS enabled because somewhere he mentioned a duplicate IP error message, and what else that's on the internal side of the netgear wireless router would have the same duplicate scopes other than the 2 XP Pro boxes with ICS?

Now, if I didn't lose all of my marbles along the way here, and I know I don't have many left, wouldn't just shutting off ICS in the boxes do it? For sure he has to turn that service off in any boxes that have it enabled here anyway, do you agree, since ICS enables a dhcp server in the box?

He has internet access so somehow the 2 routers are working in tandem. It would be interesting to see what the external IP is on that wireless netgear router since it must be getting it from the linksys do you think? It would also be interesting to know how that linksys is really attached. Do you think that the patch cables must both be hooked to netgear's internal RJ45 ports and it's acting like a switch and dhcp?

I'm just wondering. His sketch would make me think that the netgear's external port is hooked to the linksys, but I can't figure out, with the netgear's native NAT, how that would pass through without converting to tcp/ip.

Having the linksys to netgear uplinked to an internal would make more sense to me than the sketch, because both routers already have static internal IP's and in the case of the netgear it's obviously 192.168.1.1 as you showed. Dhcp from the linksys wouldn't affect the netgear's internal IP. The netgear should ignore it for itself, and block it from the computers.

I have to admit I've never hooked two routers to a lan. I do know that the netgear, even if having one of its internal ports used as an uplink for the linksys, would block dhcp from the linksys to the lan. It should never let another dhcp pass into or across the lan.

Considering all of that, if he just shuts off ICS and renews the IPs on the computers, might that not work?

Aren't the rogues the ICS computers themselves?

18. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Space cadet here - I jumped over part of my reasoning. I don't think that we can depend on computer 2 getting that same IP every time it reboots or renews. There was mention of duplicates once, etc. I think that it's all or nothing - get the rogues off the lan and stay dynamic, or set both boxes static.

Since your numbers are completely correct - I'll paste your's -

Then computer 2 would be:

Now, the statics would do it, but if we can get rid of the rogues and stay dynamic he will have no problem letting a 3rd box - laptop, friend's gamer, whatever, connect.

What think?

19. rburchill

rburchill Private E-2

Many thanks to all of you for your help. I am now all set! And I've still got my Vonage/Linksis and Netgear routers! And I'm file and print sharin' like a maniac!

Windows IP Configuration - COMPUTER1:

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COMPUTER1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-BD-06-14-5E
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 02, 2006 4:10:50 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:54:34 PM

Windows IP Configuration - COMPUTER2

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COMPUTER2

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111 802.11g Wireless USB2.
    0 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B5-90-44-BC
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 02, 2006 4:20:08 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 03, 2006 4:04:03 PM

Just a note that might be of interest: I didn't know it, but I also had the little software utility that came w/ my Netgear Wireless Adapter that was in my STARTUP. Basically, it was trying to take control away from Windows XP Networking right out of the gate everytime I rebooted.

Thanks again, I learned a great deal in a short period of time!

Best regards

20. techsalong

techsalong Guest

You're welcome of course. Get a few heads together, do a little tweaking.. :)

21. pari22

pari22 Corporal

I do not think. I know you're correct and right. You know your stuff. I was simply giving him an "easy button" solution considering his level and situ.

Well, I see that you have now perfected your workgroup, up and running.

nice job! and happy new year!

22. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Well you were right, and what you said would have worked great. I think you're too modest - I think we put our heads together. Happy New Year. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds