DIMENSION 2400 Video question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by musicjunkieg, Jan 4, 2006.

1. musicjunkieg

musicjunkieg Private E-2

So-

I need to upgrade my dimension 2400 video capabilities. Sadly, the dimension has integrated video with NO AGP slot. Someone has recommended a PCI card (not PCIexpress) I understand. My question is, would it make more sense just to upgrade the motherboard to one that has AGP or PCIe? If so, suggestions of a MOBO based on the fact that i have a 2.66 GHz P4 and a dimension case?

Thanks so much!!!

Bryan

2. nickwsu

nickwsu Private First Class

I guess it would depend on how much you wanted to upgrade it. There are okay PCI cards out there, but not many.

I was in the same boat as you with the integrated video and no AGP slot. I had it upgraded for awhile with a ATI 9200SE 128mb PCI card that worked decently for awhile, but after I needed a new one, I found that there really is not much room to upgrade from there as far as PCI cards go, so I had to build a new comp.

It sounds like a matter of finding a motherboard that is compatible with your processor, but I as I remember the Dimension 2400 cases are very small, I'm not sure, but you might have a space issue there. I think its stupid that Dell has so much proprietary equipment that you cant upgrade.

Anyways, I'm sure that PCI card I mentioned is not too expensive nowadays, however, to future-proof yourself a bit with gaming I would upgrade to a PCI-e mobo. IIRC no PCI video cards are currently capable of running Battlefield 2

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

heres probably your best choice on pci vid cards:
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4610881/sort_type=bottomline

but i don't think there will be much use for it on better games. if you do think of upgrading your motherboard as well, you should come up with a price and shop around for mobo/cpu combos to get a good deal, and just dump your current setup. no reason to spend a few bucks when for a little more, you could have a better setup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds