Need older media player

Discussion in 'Software' started by zimpal, Jan 5, 2004.

1. zimpal

zimpal Private First Class

Hi all.
    I've been upgrading my old box on my home LAN. It's still a pentium(r)233 but now has 128mb RAM (was 64mb) and running WinME (was Win95). The RAM made a noticeable improvement in performance.
    I'm having problems viewing Mpeg files in Windows Media Player 7.0. I downloaded an older Winamp player (2.91) which I like for audio. I can't get it to play video, though. The Windows player plays mpeg or avi but they're real jerky like the processor is struggling. Strangely, in the old configuration, video files played just fine using Windows Media Player 6.4(?)
    I need help forcing Winamp to play my videos or a suggestion for a player that will run on this system.
    Thanks!

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

I know that at least windows media player 8 has really junky sound and video, but windows media 9 is a lot better. I recommend that you give it a shot.

3. zimpal

zimpal Private First Class

Star<17>,
    Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. Funny thing, Win Media Player 6.4 was listed there. Micro$oft still offers that for download. I hadn't downloaded it because they say it's for Win95 or WinNT. Guess what? I got it and it works fine!
    I guess the newer players add alot of 'gingerbread' and 'bells and whistles' that only hog memory and burden older processors.
    Zimpal

4. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

Yes, WMP 6.4 has become a standard and is probably the most stabile player version. I still use it with win98se.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds