Avira Antivir: "Update Hell"

Discussion in 'Software' started by cobrajet431, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobrajet431

cobrajet431 Private First Class

Hi Geeks. I wasn't sure if I should start a new threat or add on to an old one, so I decided to make a new one with a link to the old one.

I've been using Avira's AntiVir for a few weeks now, since Active Virus Shield went away :cry: .

I thought I was happy with it until I caught it failing to update ("internet connection failed".) So I went to the events log and found that the update failed more often than not :eek

So I uninstalled and reinstalled and the same thing continues. :mad

So as usual I came here first and did a search and found http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=135738
    Wherein Adrynalyne says "Antivir gave me update hell."
    and Mada_Milty later replies "Ahhh, yes! That was the problem I had. Pissed me right off."

So just so you guys know, some things never change. I haven't been happy since they took AVS away. I don't really want to go back to AVG 'cos it's coming up in third place to Antivir and Avast just about any survey you find.

But I'm not gonna put up with Antivir's update crap anymore :crybaby
    I guess I'll try out Avast now; actually I'm just biding my time 'till Comodo's AV comes out of beta.

That's all for now, guess I just had to rant a little ;)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

As far as updates go, Avast has been good. Sorry you had to go through the Antivir update hell several of us have endured :(

3. cobrajet431

Hehe...Adrynalyne, I forgot about your rant blog; how appropriate that you replied first!
    I did use Avast a couple of years ago and I think the only 'problem' I had with it was I just didn't like the media player type GUI. I don't recall having any real complaints about it. Thanks for noting my complaint...but you removed that part while I was replying.
    I bookmarked your blog BTW...

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Wait, what did I remove?

Yeah the Avast interface isn't great, but IIRC, its skinnable.

5. cobrajet431

"Wait, what did I remove?"

Didn't you edit your original post? It said something like my complaint will be noted and then said a couple of things I didn't understand, then gave the link to your blog. Then it changed while I was writing my first reply.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Oh, haha.

Yeah I was changing things around the other day ;) Didn't know it would affect people posting :p

7. Doofus

Doofus Private First Class

What the hell is going on? Yesterday Anti-Vir and SpywareTerminator were having a major brawl over RKIT/Agent.nom, AV picked on ST in this case, today ST is blocking access to AV's event log, and I can't reach the servers at either?????????????

8. Lance Bombardier

Lance Bombardier Private First Class

I haven't had any trouble downloading Antivir updates, AND the last study I read, in PC Authority, October 2007, put Antivir at 92%, with only Kaspersky at 98% in front.

AVG was 83% and Avast 4 was 70%.

Stick with the Jerries.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If Antivir regularly burns you with update problems, it sure as heck isn't getting that kind of detection rate. I don't want an antivirus that sometimes updates properly, I want it every time.

10. inspectorstan

inspectorstan Private E-2

i read the problem from ''adrynalyn,
    i downloaded the program and in the readme said:
    firts download the program, then do an update, while updating download the program again, this reacts and says there are corrupts in the program, these are fixed immedeately.
    after that i updated the program and it works.
    i hope that this was your problem
    greetz inspectorstan.:wave

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Please note the date of this thread. It was abandoned nearly a year ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds