bootup too fast, but windows loads too slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by help, Feb 16, 2004.

1. help

help Corporal

im having a small problem . my computer bootups too fast, but when windows loads i have to wait till it puts all the drivers and services into ram. before it use to do all this during bootup where windows shows the loadup splash screen. the scroll bar image goes 2 times and then windows loads and i have to wait for it to put everything into ram and start the processes. is there any fix, it might be a slight change in the registry causeing all this

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Dunno help as most people are normally complaining that the bootups too sloooow!! but you have kinda the opposite.

Is the whole boot time upto the point you can use the windows GUI changed at all eg. it used to take 40secs to boot to GUI now it takes 1min 30secs?

I do see sometimes fluctuations in the time the loadup splash progress bar is on screen, sometimes its 1.5 times or others its 3 times it shows the progress bar... on the longer ones I find it loads startup apps and gives me the GUI quicker than the quicker one... swings and round-a-bouts ( but you don't have many of them in the US.. pain in the ass but thats a different topic altogether ).

WindowsXP by design maps the best place to load files and applications ( bootvis was the app that showed how this works ) over time so maybe XP is placing the files in best logical order.

NOW if your boot tiem is conciderably longer then we will have to look into that issue further.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well...

My boot time is ~20 seconds and I dont have to wait to use my computer once I log in.

Sounds like your nic is searching for DHCP and that will make your system slow, or unresponsive.

Takes ~20-30 seconds usually once you hit the desktop.

Using DSL?

4. help

help Corporal

nope 56k, im thinking that i should disable one of the services that may be causing this, i think its workstation.im not networked ive never used my nic

5. help

help Corporal

what service should i disable?

6. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

7. DavidGP

You have your Nic enabled or loading at startup? ( should see a icon in thetray with 2 pcs with red X )

Start > Settings > Network Connections and in there is their a LAN connection as well as your 56k DUN ?

If so and its onboard NIC then enter bios and disable the onboard NIC and that will stop the LAN from loading.

8. help

help Corporal

ok thanks, but last time i disabled one of the proceses, and it didnt happen anymore

9. help

help Corporal

disabled onboard lan and its still happens

10. help

help Corporal

any help, it worked before i just had to disable a process i dont remember which 1 thogh

11. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I have noticed a longer boot up but faster running in Windows and games when I went to a gig of RAM, have you increased your RAM?
    How about your start up menu. Lots of programs try to put in startups.

12. DavidGP

I wouldnt normally say use bootvis BUT as a trace tool for bootup its a good app....

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

just use it to find the app or service that may be taking a long time to load, use Trace > Next Boot + Driver Delays and see what it shows.

13. help

help Corporal

used Bootvis, no luck. It just shows that the processes start to load after windows loads up. And not during the Bootup . It's all a cause of one of the network processes, thats looking for a NIC card. I have already disabled it, and it still happens. I know for sure that I have to disable one of the network processes, but I don't remember from last time. It happened before, and someone from this board tipped me to disable a process. And it stopped happening.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds