Newbie Needs Help !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by d14099, Oct 15, 2004.

1. d14099

d14099 Private E-2

I JUST BUILT MY FIRST COMPOUTER AND IT LOOKS GREAT, IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF.HERE IS WHAT IS IN IT:
    GIGABYTE GA7VAXP 1.1 MOTHERBOARD
    AMD 2200 TBRED CHIP, PROBLEM # 1 IT WAS SOLD TO ME AS A 22OO CHIP, BUT WHEN I GO TO THE SPECS THE COMPUTER READS IT SAYS ITS A 1500+ CHIP, IS THAT RIGHT OR DID I GET SCREWED?
    MAXTOR 80 HD ULTRA ATA/133, 8MB CACHE, 7200RPOM
    IT HAS 1.5 G MEMORY
    GIGABYTE 9200SE 128 GRAPHICS CARD
    I AM RUNNING A FRESH EDITION OF XP PRO
    HERE Are my questions:
    the motherboard has an overclocking utility,
    what do i set the bus speed to on the motherboard there is a switch to set it i left it on default,what does that do is it slowing down my chip ??
    what is raid ? i have a manual just for that!
    what would be a safe margin to overclock this to without losing reliability?

2. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I doubt that you got screwed. AMD gives their processors numbers that (they say) equate with the Intel chips with the same numbers, but they actually run slower than the Intel chips of the same processing power.

Check out AMD's page here. You'll see that the Athlon XP T-bred 2200+ is designed to run at 1800MHz. If your BIOS has it running at 1500MHz, I'd wonder if your FSB and/or multiplier settings are a little low. If I've read AMD's numbers right, your FSB should be running at 266MHz, and your CPU should be running with a multiplier of 13.5.

I'll leave the overclocking stuff to someone who has been there and done that.

3. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Ok you will need to set the dip switch on the Motherboard. The user's manual will show you how to do just that on Page 9. If you need further help I will be glad to try. ;)

4. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

P.S. I've been able to run my XP2400+ at 2250mhz, which is 15 x 150fsb. Everything is stable at that setting, but things get a little wierd at anything beyond that. I don't suggest overclocking if you are using the stock Heatsink & Fan that came with the CPU.

Another P.S. Overclocking through the BIOS is much better than using the EasyTune 4 utility. I've had problems with it loading those settings at startup, but not a problem at all when upping the FSB though the BIOS. What I do is....when I want to play a game or something like that, I will use EasyTune 4 to raise the FSB just a little before launching the game.

Just be careful, do alot of research & asking of questions before attempting to overclock your machine. It is very easy to fry the CPU & possibly even the Motherboard itself if you go too high.

5. d14099

d14099 Private E-2

Thanks For All The Help Guys !!!!!!!!!!!
    This Is Where I Get A Little Confused, What Do I Set The Dip Switch To With My 2200 Chip And 133 Ultra Hd, It Runs 266 Memory. What Figures And Data Apply The The Dip Switch And Where Do You Find That Info, If I Didnt Have You To Ask
    Thanks So Much For All Your Help, David

6. d14099

d14099 Private E-2

GUESS WAHT I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, WHAT A SUPRISE
    WAHT DO THEY MEAN FLASH THE BIOS IS IT SOMETHINMG I NEED TO DO :rolleyes:

7. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

When you flash bios you upgrade to a newer version, not necessarily a better version. So if you don't have any problems don't do it.

Your cpu is underclocked so set the dip sw to 166 that is the correct setting for yor cpu. Then go into bios and see that the bios is set the same.

Your memory should be set to 333.

As for oc, look thru the MG oc forum, search the web for articals. You should also run your new computer stock for awhile to see how it runs. You should also moniter temps and run something like prime95 to make sure all your hardeware is problem free.

Rick

8. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Ok...you do have the User's manual right?

If so, then on Page 9 of said manual, there is information on what to set it at. The switch you need to change is SW1 in the lower right of the motherboard. That needs to be set to 133mhz ( which is 133 x 2 = 266mhz ). It's a blue switch with white knobs on it. Both should be in the up position.

The CK_RATIO switch should already be set to Auto, which is just fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds