Vista Vista Vista, whats the BIG Deal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by noidly1, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noidly1

noidly1 Private E-2

Ok;
    Yeah, it's been a while since the big "MS" has come out with another OS. Now, from what i can tell, all it has is "FEATURES", so what?.
    Is it really another OS or just another "Pretty Face"?

I can't find ANY details about the OS, i.e.; kernel, file sys, language, 32bit, 64bit, ect..., just info on features.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i have been told that Vista has a "Linux" type of kernel. Is Vista a "New" version Linux? If so, will Linux GPL Apps. work?

Does anybody have any solid info on it?

Thanks.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Last time I was playing with Vista (beta 2), it used the NTFS kernel. I wouldn't expect Linux apps to work on it without an emulator like Cygwin, and even then, I would expect only the most basic apps to function well.

3. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Details dont always help....Have you tested the OS for yourself?:)

Regards....

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. Joker_Joe

Joker_Joe Private E-2

Cheers for the info theefool,

I personally think vista is looking quite nice and i am waiting to install it. Once i get a new processor and more ram. The new features look quite useful

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Yeah, it's been a while since the big "MS" has come out with another OS. Now, from what i can tell, all it has is "FEATURES", so what?. Is it really another OS or just another "Pretty Face"? I can't find ANY details about the OS, i.e.; kernel, file sys, language, 32bit, 64bit, ect..., just info on features. Does anybody have any solid info on it? << Joker_Joe

The very best "overall" site that I have seen regarding "updated" information about the Microsoft Vista Operating System is located on the computerworld.com website and is called Windows Vista A to Z.

To try it for yourself; just go to the computerworld.com home page and then scroll down to the heading labeled "CONTINUING COVERAGE" (it is located down a little and on the right of the main computerworld.com website) and then click on Windows Vista A to Z. This webpage covers reviews, analyses, how-tos, visual tours, hot issues and predictions about Vista OS.

I have always like that entire computerworld site; because it is no nonsense - there are almost no ads - just the facts and opinions of the article authors and reviewers. But the Windows Vista A to Z section in particular is terrific, as well. It's very well organized and easy to navigate and is updated often.

Good Luck

7. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I pretty ignorent about Vista, but something to remember is hardware moves on, and on. Right now we are at quad core processors, I'm willing to be a lot of the older OS's couldn't begin to take advantage of the features of this new hardware. New stuff has to be written now and then just to keep up.

8. vemars

vemars Private E-2

I just got a Compaq laptop with Vista, and even though it was a good deal, I wish I hadn't. They've taken a lot of things off, hidden others, and put so much stuff in that it's slow, slow, slow. I tried to put 404 MB files into a USB drive; it took 1 hr 14 min and several seconds. I tried to write a movie on a USB HDD to the DVD burner, and there was no audio for the first part. Then I just tried to play the movie, and there was no audio for any of it. A friend just got a new machine and was bragging about how good it was; last week I saw him and he was wanting to know how to get his games to run. None of them would run on his new system.

It may be something Compaq did, but I'd make sure that the programs I wanted would run. Hopefully before XP gets completely lost they'll release another OS that will work. I stayed with Win95 till XP came out; I'll stay with XP [if I can get back to it] till something else comes out. Or until someone releases a Linux OS that works the way the Linux people claim theirs does!

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

vemars please stop making negative posts about vista, just because your computer had trouble doesn't mean all will. Mine has been running vista for 4 months and works fine.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This thread was hot news....almost a year ago. Sorry you are having Vista issues, but I invite you to run Linux. Really.

Please dont bump old threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds