Laptop goes to black screen w/ cursor after splash screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tml1x, Feb 21, 2010.

1. tml1x

tml1x Private E-2

I have two HP ZV6000 laptops. One of them works great, the other will not boot up to Windows XP. The one I am having trouble with gets the splash screen up and goes directly to a blank screen with a flashing cursor in upper left corner. (Looks almost like a DOS prompt screen but it is not). I swapped hard drives. Problem stays with the computer. Both hard drives are good and will boot up to windows in the laptop that works. I have changed DIMM sticks and problem stays with the computer. The computer I am having the trouble with will allow me to access BIOS Setup and both computer BIOS setups are the same. Soon as I exit the bios setup screen, the laptop I'm having trouble with goes to the black screen with cursor. I have read this may be a problem with the motherboard but I can't even boot it up with my WIndows recovery disk. Any ideas out there?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Can you press a key like F11 to access the boot order and make sure the computer is attempting to boot from the HDD?

3. tml1x

tml1x Private E-2

F10 gets me to the setup screen. F11 has no effect. You can hear either the DVD drive or the hard drive attempting to run for about 1 second after the splash screen closes.

4. tml1x

tml1x Private E-2

I have done and verified a few more things to help narrow this problem. Both hard drives pass quick test when they are installed in the computer and they both boot up perfectly on the sister laptop, so I'm sure it is not a hard drive problem. I have removed the little 3 volt battery and drained the caps of any residual voltages by holding the power button down while unplugged and with main battery removed. Checked voltage on the 3 v battery while it was out and it is 2.96 VDC.
    Ran memory test on both of the 512Mg DIMM chips, individually and then combined.
    I removed the DVD Drive with power on and shut it off, then turned back on as described on the HP troubleshooting website. For what it's worth, the function keys F7 and F8 allow me to change monitor intensity.

This computer is booting just like its sister laptop but just simply quits moving forward in the boot process just before it opens WIndows XP. I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

How old are the laptops? This sounds like it may be an issue with the motherboard SATA controller/interface.

Did you run the memory test from a CD?

Have a look at this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

See if you can use ubuntu from a flash drive to access the hard drive once you are in a working OS.

I have followed this guide myself and now carry an Ubuntu USB drive with me as a standard troubleshooting tool. I can assure you that there are no fake downloads or virii in any of the software required.

6. tml1x

tml1x Private E-2

The laptops are both around 4 years old. They both have the Atheron 64processors. Unfortunately, I cannot get any sort of CD to load a program or play music or show pictures, so I am not sure how I would go about testing memory with a CD. I agree tho, it's sorta like the thing lost track of where to initiate the windows loader. SATA interface. Can I just load this Ubuntu on a USB flash from another computer, then plug it into the troubled laptop and see if it can access it. Guess I will read some more. Thanks once again for your help Major Collinsl.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds