G35 Headphones: Need A Soundcard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J8son, Sep 16, 2011.

1. J8son

J8son Corporal

I'm building a new system and I'm down to my last two items: a good headset and a soundcard.

I've settled on the Logictech G35: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-104-281&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=true&SelectedRating=2&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&chkPurchaseMark=on&Keywords=%28keywords%29

I've been trying to decide what's the best soundcard (still on a budget here) that would most compliment the sound I'll get from the headset till I realized :something.

The headset specs says it uses 40mm drivers and a USB connection. So, does that mean that since it's going directly into my motherboard, I wouldn't even need a 3rd party soundcard added to the system (IE: the new soundcard would make no different in sound quality)?

Just looking to confirm this...

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Onboard sound is fine, no need for a card. I have pair of G35's and like them very much, the sound is great, they're a tad heavy but comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the software GUI.

3. J8son

J8son Corporal

Thanks for the info.

Since you have that headset, let me ask you this. Since they have virtual surround by Dolby built in, would the motherboard also need to support some type of 7.1?

Also, I was in the market for a new soundcard anyway so I still may pick one up. But since the connection of the headphones is USB and not the rear soundcard connection, how would that factor into the sound?

4. J8son

J8son Corporal

Actually, I hate to reply to my own post but I just read that the USB headsets have on-board sound integrated into them. Essentially saying that you could pull both the on-board sound AND your sound card out of your computer, and they still work.

Is this true? Does this essentially make any on-board features of sound a moot point?

5. augiedoggie

Seems to be the case as this review said one needs drivers. Gaming opinions on bottom of page.

6. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

That is nice and all if you like the idea that you could potentially step on your "sound card" or sit on it and crush it. I don't trust headsets working like that because sounds on mobos can actually increase sound performance ALOT when paired with high quality / quality headsets.

I know this because I use Sennheiser Pro 360s and Astro A40s. They are both great but after I built my new PC with the newer sound card built in( X-fi sound card) I immidiately noticed the difference versus when I used Sennheisers on my laptop that had a standard sound card. You may down the road want to invest in a Headset amp similar to the Astro Mixamp or something

7. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Usb is a data connection not an audio connection. It sends the digital information to the headphones that de-code the info to audio signal so yes you could pull all your cards out.

You woudnt need any 7.1 on your soundcard. Virtual dolby is different from 7.1. it just creates a surround effect from 2 speakers instead of 7 speakers and a sub.

8. J8son

J8son Corporal

I see. My point about the soundcard is that I was only investing in it over the onboard sound on my motherboard (which I obviously already have since I have a new motherboard purchased) is for increased sound quality.

So let's boil it down to this: If I buy the G35's, would I see ANY difference in sound by purchasing a separate soundcard at this point?

9. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

No. the card would only be used when sound is played back through speakers. or a set of headphones with a mini jack connection

10. J8son

J8son Corporal

Well, I guess I just saved a bunch of money on my soundcard by switching to headsets...wait...that sounds familar...

Any who, thanks for the info. The G35's seem awfuly hard to beat right now!

11. augiedoggie

I know you will love them! However, I did see them go for $80 somewhere last week but I can't remember where.:-o Have a look around.

12. J8son

J8son Corporal

Indeed. Newegg had them for $77 over the weekend and I was going to get them Monday...but by then they were back up to $94! Now I'm kicking myself... :hammer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds