slow download speeds?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asdfa, Nov 27, 2006.

1. asdfa

asdfa Private E-2

Just got a broad band connection a few hours ago and am getting very slow download speeds. Around 75-100kb/s I ran some free speed tests on a couple of sites and found that Im actually getting around 950-1000kb/s up and down. Any one got any ideas as to whats going on hear.

2. Adola

Adola Private E-2

Maybe your upload speed is faster than your download speed, did you try to upload any file and see how long it takes???

3. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

A lot of download servers limit your download bandwidth, if the speed tests are showing your correct download rates then I would say it is just the download server limiting bandwidth from its end. No problem with your connection

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I have an avilable speed of 1.5mbps but most downloads are in the range of 130-200kbps... I think alot of it depends on network traffic and the location of the server you're downloading from. I've noticed when downloading from a Taiwan or China based site, the speeds are about half of what I usually get...

hopperdave2000 :)

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Firstly what is your given speed, ie. what BB speed are you being sold. BB can vary from company to company 1MB up to 10MB in UK. What Firewalls do you have running? Speeds can vary from site to site depending on flow of traffic. In UK if you are using a BB via British Telecom it depends on your local BT exchange as what speed it can handle and that can vary significantly. So you need to do a bit more research into your companies promises.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds