system restore not working past calendar, internet not working - using cell phone!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by misslaura1987, Dec 8, 2008.

1. misslaura1987

misslaura1987 Private E-2

ok like an idiot i was trying to get free software off bitlord and ended up with a virus instead. all i knew was my computer was being way too slow and i cant use my internet which should be working according to my network connections and the cable modems green lights. so i followed your antimalware guide - which was saved to a usb drive just in case this happens - as much as i could without a connection, got rid of more than a few viruses/trojans, and now my computer IS much faster but still will not connect...so i try system restore! and everything works smoothly up until the screen after the calendar which asks that you save/close any open documents/windows where the next button will not work. i did as much searching as i could with a cell phone but could not manage to find a solution so here i am to bother yous and i would greatly appreciate your help.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: system restore not working past calendar, internet not working - using cell phone

Hi

Its very likely you still have some malware left on your PC, and the logs would be needed so that our malware experts can review them to see what is left and how to remove it, just in case your saved guide is an older one, I will post the guide again below with instructions as its updated a fair amount and the tools used do change and update.

Please follow the instructions in the below link and attach the requested logs when you finish these instructions.

• If something does not run, write down the info to explain to us later but keep on going.
    • Do not assume that because one step does not work that they all will not.
    READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

Notes:

1. If you run into problems trying to run the READ & RUN ME or any of the scans in normal boot mode. You can running steps in safe boot mode but make sure you tell us what you did later when you post logs. See the below if you do not know how to boot in safe mode:
    2. If you have problems downloading on the problem PC, download the tools on another PC and burn to a CD. Then copy them to the problem PC. You will have to skip getting updates if (and only if) your internet connection does not work. Yes you could use a flash drive too but flash drives are writeable and infections can spread to them.

plus a guide on how to attach the logs HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

Once finished please start a new thread in the Malware Forum plus a guide on how to attach the logs HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

After these are attached in the Malware Forum in a new thread our malware experts will review these to see if your OK, if not they will issue you some further removal instructions.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Re: system restore not working past calendar, internet not working - using cell phone

You may also have to do this:

If you have a router hooked up then you need to follow the instructions for your hardware and reset it to factory default settings. Normally there is a recessed push button type switch that needs to be held down for some number of seconds to do this. After resetting to factory defaults on your router, you will need to reconfigure the router for your network if you have made any changes to the default network setup.

4. misslaura1987

misslaura1987 Private E-2

halo: ok im gonna have to get to another computer before i can proceed bc my internet is down but i will post my logs to the malwarf forum asap - timw: no router :/ i wish it were that simple but im almost positive this is the work of a vhrus. --thank you both!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds