how to hook up fan directly to mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by czkjyg, Aug 28, 2004.

1. czkjyg

czkjyg Private E-2

I have the Volcano 7+ (A1254) for P4 Socket 478
    fan and i just bought a p4c800-e deluxe asus motherboard.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM

It has built in fan speed controller on the motherboard. My question
    is, can i plug my fan directly to the board and let my motherboard
    controll the fan speed instead of the Tt Speed Control Unit?

How do i do this, the fan has 2 wires coming off of it without the Tt
    speed controll unit attached.

I did contact thermaltake and thier reply was, "yes its compatable". And asus never did reply back. I know this is a total newbie question, but im afraid to plug it directly to the board since im not sure which wires would go where. I have it hooked up right now using the speed control unit, but as you know you have to manualy switch speeds and i would prefer to let the board do it.

Thank you very much for reading, and any info you could give me :)

2. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

There should be a 3 pin connector between the CPU Socket & the Memory banks. If the fan has a 3 pin connector I wouldn't see why you could not use that.

I looked at the board in the link you gave & it does show a 3 pin connector next to the CPU socket.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

3. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Ok at the risk of sounding like a smart***, "Read the Manual", it will tell you which of the fan connectors is the correct one to use.

4. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Did the fan come with at Sensor? My volcano has a sensor that you put under the cpu. As the temps rise the fan spins faster.

Also there should be a jumper that came with the fan. It might be a tiny blue plug. just disconnect the wire going to the fan controller, and place the jumper over the connections. Im sure the manuel for the fan goes over many ways to have it set up. I want to say that when you have the jumper ON the fan is at full speed all the time. So if you dont have the thermal sensor, staying with the manuel control would be best.

Currently i am using the manuel control. Its on a quite low for everyday use, and when i play games i crank it up to high, and the sound from the games usually cover it up. ;) Its not that much of a hassel.

:cool:

cooked

5. czkjyg

czkjyg Private E-2

Thank you for the replies. I see i forgot to link the the fan, sorry about that.

http://www.thermaltake.com/support/installguide/coolers/v7plusP4478.htm

Unfortunatly for me, i bought the fan as a cpu/mobo combo and the supplier didnt bother to include the installation guide (or jumpers or sensor). Thats one of the risks ya take i guess when you dont buy retale. I should have mentioned this at first.

So based on the replies, here is what i have done. What was confusing me was the fan has two connectors, both the small 3 pin type. One has a single yellow wire, the other has a black and red. So what i did was, plugged the single yellow wire into the slot on the mobo that was labled "power" and plugged the other wire into the slot that said "cpu fan".

(Previously, i had the manual switch controller hooked up, and the single yellow wire was pluged into the the slot labled "cpu fan".)

Now this seems to work as the fan is spinning and sounds as if auto adjusts itself, but i dont see any rpm feedback from my monitor anymore but thats just something i will have to figure out.

I also tried, just plugging in the yellow wire to the "cpu fan" and leaving the other unplugged, the fan wouldnt spin. So i tried it as stated above and that finally worked. I mention this incase someone else happens upon this post with the same situation.

Thank you very much for your input, im happy to get that ugly switch out of my case.

6. czkjyg

czkjyg Private E-2

I unplugged the single yellow wire from the slot labled "power" i just realised that was probably ment for the power supply. The fan still seems to speed up and slow down depending on temperature, but i can not get the asus monitor to recognise the cpu-fan's rpm's. It just gives me the warning of 0 rpms, and i do have the monitor enabled. I guess im going to have to find a manual some where (or disabled hardware monitoring) for the fan because i do not know what to do with the other wire and that one seems to be the one that reports back the rpms.

7. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Is Hardware Monitoring enabled in the BIOS? Go here to get the "manual".

8. czkjyg

czkjyg Private E-2

Yes i do have it on, and i now believe i have everything figured out and also the why for. (also thanks for the manual link, i do have the manual for the mobo just not the fan)

Im a bit suprised no one else has encountered this problem.

With this fan, it has the rpm wire seperate from the power wire. Now on my motherboard, it requires all three wires to be plugged into the "cpu fan" slot to get both power and rpm feedback.

This works fine if you use the included manual speed controller that is sold with the fan, but alas this also removes the automatic speed controll of the mobo.

So i guess the only way for me to get both rpm feed back without using the manual switch, is to mod the wires myself. I have not attempted it yet, but i sure am tempted to try it. I would have to cut the yellow wire the comes out of the fan and wire it into the plastic power plug that comes off of the fan. I tried to pull the pin out but it didnt want to budge, i dont know how these are manufactured.

If i try this and i get it to work, i will be sure to reply and let ya's know how it came out.

9. czkjyg

czkjyg Private E-2

Ok i finaly figured this out myself.

Even TT tech support had no idea how i could do this. Im completely at a loss for words to believe that they had not encountered this problem before and had no suggestion on how i could get it to work.

The solution was so simple, all i had to do is find someone who sold a Y splitter for 3pin connecters and within a few seconds it was up and running and automatically adjusting the fan speed based on temp... Im so happy :) :) :)

Anyway , thanks for reading, here is a link to a picture of the item i bought.

http://www.xoxide.com/bluvre3pinsp.html

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds