Windows 7 says not connected to a Network, but I am!

Discussion in 'Software' started by bullseye, Oct 8, 2012.

1. bullseye

bullseye Private E-2

This is what it looks like, but I have a RED X instead of the gold star by the time and date.
    [​IMG]

I have full network and internet access. But the wireless icon on the bottom right of the screen says that I am not connected (red X through the bars). It has been like this for a long time, but did not affect me until I tried to to turn on my Media streaming. I am unable to start a homegroup or turn on the streaming because Windows 7 believes I am not connected, even though I am.

The Windows Network and Sharing page says I am not connected, but when I run Windows diagnostics, it says I AM connected...

I've gone to Microsoft help pages and tried several of their solutions which have done nothing. Reinstalled drivers, searched for upgrades, etc with no change.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. bullseye

bullseye Private E-2

Things that I have tried as suggested by Microsoft and others...

try the following steps to disable DNS probe:

1. Start the registry editor
    2. Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
    3. Under the Internet key, double-click "EnableActiveProbing", and then in Value data, type: 0
    4. The default for this value is 1. Setting the value to 0 disables this feature.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Restart the computer.

reset TCP/IP

Method 1

I would suggest you to restart the following services and check.

- Network Location Awareness
    - Network List Service

a) Click Start.
    b) In the search box type services.msc.
    c) Right click Network Location Awareness and go to Properties.
    d) Select Automatic from the Startup type drop down.
    e) Click Start.
    f) Click Apply and OK.
    g) Repeat the same steps for Network List Service.
    h) Restart your computer

Method 2

a) Click Start.
    b) In the search box type Device Manager.
    c) Select Network Adapters and expand the chevron.
    d) Right click Network adapters and go to Properties
    e) Click Uninstall from the Drivers tab.

You may reinstall the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Ok I had the same problem and used the following to make it work following Ugumbas post

Click Start
    Type Run
    Type Regedit
    Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Expand Software
    Expand Microsoft
    Expand Windows NT
    Expand Current Version
    Right Click Network List
    Right Click Permissions

For all users except CREATOR OWNER ensure that you have Full Control and Read ticked for all other accounts.

Reboot your machine

Red X has gone on mine and the internet works ok

Now going to try a VPN and set up a homegroup. Will let you know in 10 minutes

***This did not work for me
    Here's what finally worked for me. Go into device manager, right-click on the wireless adapter and choose uninstall. Then, after the adapter is uninstalled, right-click on your computer name at the top and choose Scan for hardware changes. The wireless adapter reappears and it installs properly as a network adapter throughout the system. Reconnect to your wireless network and you're up and running.

Nope.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds