msi 865 neo2-PE wont post. solid hd light.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalxor, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

working for a while, got a p4 prescott 3.0ghz 160gb bla bla.. doesnt really matter. point is everything is working fine, i install another fan ontop of the plastic fan over the cpu heatsink to put some more air on it, try to boot up and the fans power but the hd doesnt spin and the hd light on the front is solid lit up, interestingly though after some diagnostic, i got the mobo to reset my cmos settings (before it would power on as soon as i flipped the powersupply juice on now i have to push the on button) not sure if that counts for anything oh and i have a agp x800 all in wonder with a fan on it, and the mobo powers the fan without the power supply even plugged into the card (like its supposed to).

so yeah tryed everything wont post, any suggestions would be awesome.

~phalxor

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Generally speaking, when video cards have a connector to the power supply, it's not for the fan. It's extra power for the other components; fans usually get their power thru the slot. Anyway, it sounds like a power supply problem or maybe the motherboard has crapped out. If you have a 2nd power supply or can borrow one, give it a shot. I'll do a bit of research and post some encouraging info if I get some.....

hopperdave2000

3. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

power supply is fine, tested on another power supply and it had same effect.

i didnt do this but for future knowledge should i aggressively avoid having any silver thermal paste come in contact with the cpu pins or anything else on the mobo or is it not a biggy

thx for respondin

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You should be very careful with thermal paste, and totally avoid contact with cpu pins, or other periphials. Do not touch any parts until they are cold.
    Disconnect power supply, and clean any off of any contaminated parts with suitable alcohol based cleaner, but make sure all parts are completely dry before replacing.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If I read your post correctly, you have installed a fan, on top of the cpu fan?
    If so, remove it,- you run the cpu fan from the motherboard - update with the correct cooler, perhaps from Thermaltake, for upgrade.
    To increase air flow -
    Front fan, rear fan, and for presscott, if you have a funnel on side of case, you can fit one there.
    Try increasing fan size to front, and rear if the box will take 100mm fans.- I keep my temperatures on same chip to 47 that way - others get them running cooler with bigger cpu fans- recommended artic silver thermal paste - and very little of it.
    Majority of modern motherboards still have power going through system, unless power cord is detached

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds