Acer booting problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N84Christ, Jul 1, 2010.

1. N84Christ

N84Christ Private First Class

My daughter has am Acer Aspire model AOA150 with Win XP. All the sudden when she goes to turn it on, it starts with an Acer screen that stays on foe a few seconds and then the screen goes blank. Iwas told that the bios need updating or editing. Can some one tell me what to do. It is not an expensive computer (netbook) but it is all she has. Thanks in advance.

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

It may not be the BIOS.
    Try, as a first option, disconnecting any USB item connected to the computer, and see if it will boot.
    Is that Vermont, Victoria, Australia?

3. N84Christ

Thanks for replying. I have nothing connected to it. It boots to the Acer screen and then goes black. And it is Vermont.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Who told you that?
    I own a netbook (ASUS) and I would not touch the BIOS if I got no display. That might just add an additional layer of problems.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

When it boots with the ACER "splash" screen try tapping either the DEL or F12 keys and see if the system progresses any further. BIOS is a very "last" option and takes a good understanding, poorly done and it can "brick" a system (permanently damage!).

6. N84Christ

thanks again. When i pressDEL nothing happened. When I press F12 it will allow me to change the boot order.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

That is optimistic! What options are presented for "boot order"!

8. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

What about resetting the BIOS?

9. N84Christ

The USB FLASH
    options are:
    1 IDE O: HITACHI HT543216L9A300
    2:USB HDD:
    3:NETWORK BOOT: LEGACY PCI DEVICE

10. N84Christ

i am going to need to find a way to update or reset the bios

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds