Reformated and now having trouble with Chrome

Discussion in 'Software' started by mladyraven, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Hi, I had updated my drivers and it knocked out my network adapter. NVIDIA sent me a zip folder with all the drivers. Went to Kinko's put it on the stick , put it on the computer and I was able to connect to the net again.

My registry was messed up and I was getting error messages. I could not put RR on my computer. Combofix made it crash. So, I reformatted, put new drivers on from Dell's website. Everything is working fairly well, except I cannot get Chrome to work.

I thought it might be because I had uploaded my bookmarks to XMark. So, I deleted XMark and uninstalled Chrome. I have installed Chrome 12 from this site and from Google's site. Programs stall, it crashes, freezes, I get kill page messages, I get error messages that say incomplete profile cannot use all Chrome's features, it closes , it is not in the Task Manager but it is still running. This morning it said kill page on Hulu. I shut down Chrome and listened to John Stewart for 10 minutes, Chrome was closed, the Task Manager said nothing was running but.. I have vocals from Chrome and when I tried to use CC cleaner it said, please close Chrome... finally had to do a hard shut down.

I finally used IObit Uninstaller , cleaned everything up, reloaded flash, ran all my malware programs, then deleted all old restore points and set a new restore point Everything is working well in FF and in IE.

Am I doing something wrong or is it Chrome?
    Thank you, I am not a major geek, I am a major grandmother.. lol! Who does work with kids who have Autism. So, I am sorry if this is not written properly.
    I have a Dell Desktop Inspiron 531 S. Window XP SP3 I use McAfee Suite because it comes free with Cox. I have SAS, MALBytes and IObit Malware Tool with a key from the generous MG!
    I do not want to put my files and pictures from my friends external HD back onto my computer until I am sure everything is OK.
    Suggestions? Please..

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

What is your computer make and model number?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I see you have a Dell Desktop Inspiron 531 S with XP Sp3 so thats good, one thing can you check for me is in Device Manager (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Device Manager) are their any yellow ! marks by any device and if so what are they?

I don't think its a driver issue, but would rather be thorough.

When you run Chrome, what exact error are you getting?

Just for now uninstall SAS, MALBytes and IObit Malware and reboot and try Chrome again, is it the same issues or is it ok? as at times multiple malware/antivirus tools can cause issues with other apps.

Boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with Networking) and try Chrome again, does it work, as mentioned above some Antivirus applications can conflict and you may need to check in the McAfee Suite that Chrome (likely Chrome Frame also) is allowed through the Firewall,

I take it Internet Explorer works ok?

You may if the above doesnt shed any light on this recreate your Chrome profile and the steps are HERE

4. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I have totally removed Chrome from my computer using Iobit uninstall tools, the way you suggested to create a new profile, can I do that, it says to rename a file... just want to make sure.
    I am going to try downloading in safe mode
    Thank you for your time and assistance.
    Raven

5. DavidGP

Hi

At times why apps dont work when they did before a reformat are a few things and some are using different security apps they can behave weirdly at times, to not having all Windows updates installed as some 3rd party apps need specific components to work properly (personally I think these apps should always install them for you if you don't have then but..ideal world and all that)

Is your XP Sp3 fully up to date with any subsequent updates, just run Windows update to humour me ;)

Have a feeling its the profile issue, so let us know how you get on.

6. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Thanks for your assistance. Yes, as soon as I reformatted, I downloaded my AV and then downloaded all the updates. I had to update several times, it took several hours, then the next day I updated again. I went to MS and there are no updates left for me to download. :)

I went into Safe Mode and the only thing on my desktop was my recycle bin and my SAS. Not sure if I went into the right safe mode choice.

I think I might have to create a new profile Being I have a gmail account is that going to be a problem? Will I be able to restore my bookmarks, ie import them from FF?
    Right now I am just finishing up downloading more of my former "protect your computer" programs

7. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Cannot rename Default- It says acess denied cannot rename Default, may be write protected, in use ( it was not it was shut down) or full disk. I have tried Chrome 12, Chrome 13. :-(

8. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

OK, Malware forum says my computer is clean, yet, I cannot download Chrome, when I download FF is works for a few minutes then it freezes or hangs and I have to hard start the computer. I cannot download real player. Not sure what Dell did when they helped me reformat but it was working better before the reformat. When I ask them a question they say the ticket is closed and open one with software. I cannot afford to do that
    I hate IE, however, that is the only browser working. I downloaded Opera and as long as I only have one tab open it will work, if I open more then one it freezes too.
    IE is not doing this, I am lost and confused........

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

10. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Installer encountered error 3

Link show me help for this issue. However, I cannot click on it, nothing happens.
    Thank you!
    PS, I cannot install Real Player either.

11. plodr

This is the error 3 explanation:

12. DavidGP

Hi

Definatly run the info Plodr posted above, but also if that doesnt work try the below.

1. Run the below as it maybe good to see what's in your startup.

2. Then uninstall all of your security software for now and see how your PC boots and if you can download Real Player or Chrome. Do delete your temps and cookies before downloading again, also if you get any error messages do please write them down in full or take a screenshot of them and attach as per same instructions to the CCLeaner startup log.

13. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I will do all that is suggested.
    I am running XP HOME SP 3
    Dell Inspiron 531S - Reformatted last week.
    Using McAfee Suite that comes with Cox Cable
    Plus SAS, Iobit Malware Fighter , MB.
    I will follow instructions and attach logs tonight
    Thank you both for your assistance.

14. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Are you asking me to uninstall McAfee, Iobit Malware Fighter ( I received a key from MG for it) or just SAS, Malwarebytes etc...
    I am concerned about downloading with no protection and how will I put my Iobit Malware Fighter back on? Then I will have to go back to Cox to get a new key to download McAfee again. I am a bit confused.

I added the attachment, I have tried to download with this set up and also by shutting down certain programs at start up and I still was unable to download either program.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

15. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

The instructions below involve viewing your registry. If you're uncomfortable or unfamiliar with this, you may want to consult your local computer guru before following these steps.
    Go to the Start menu > Run.
    Enter regedit.
    Click OK. The Registry Editor should appear.
    In the tree view on the left, navigate to the following directory:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2F0E2680-9FF5-43C0-B76E-114A56E93598}\LocalServer32
    The "Default" value should correspond to the location of your GoogleUpdate.exe or GoogleUpdateOnDemand.exe file. Verify that GoogleUpdate.exe exists at the given path.
    If GoogleUpdate.exe doesn't exist in this location, try uninstalling and reinstalling Google Chrome.
    If GoogleUpdate.exe or GoogleUpdateOnDemand.exe exists at a different location, right-click the 'Default' value and select Modify. Enter the correct file path and make sure you use double-quotation marks, e.g. "C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe(or GoogleUpdateOnDemand.exe)"

I am not familiar or comfortable messing with the register without someone and I do not have anyone locally that can assist me. I am trying to do this on my own.
    It is not the first problem. Is it safe for me to try to check the registry myself?
    I am on disability and cannot hire someone to fix this.
    So, what I am thinking is maybe I just have to leave Chrome and Real Player off, however, it just makes no sense to me that I cannot put them on since I reformatted.

I removed all my pictures, files, downloads and RealPlayer downloads to my friends external HD. I am waiting to put my files back on until I am sure this machine is OK.
    She has not idea what to do.
    I am also wondering if there is a special way to put the files back on or do I just tranfer them from the external hard drive to Volume C by moving them. Do I just delete the Real Player files if I cannot download, or, will they transfer to WMP or VLan?

I may be asking to many questions , if so, I am sorry, I am just trying to figure out how to learn more and to make my computer work again.
    Thank you

16. plodr

Baby steps.
    First go here

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2F0E2680-9FF5-43C0-B76E-114A56E93598}\LocalServer32
    post what you see in the right pane.
    Then get out of the registry. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. You are just looking and posting what you see.

The registry is scary and I spent lots of trips looking before I was brave enough to attempt even a small change anywhere in there.

17. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I must need infant steps... :confused I do not know where to put what you wrote. I put it in run ... nope that did not work. I am not sure how to find HKEY_Class.. I will keep looking... thanks...

18. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Start Menu > run > regedit
    That opens the registry Editor.
    Then go to the key specified:
    and then follow the rest of plodr's directions

19. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

I would like to add the Google Chrome is really nice, but it is a HUGE resource hog! Those freaking add-ons and the little engines that it runs consume ALOT of memory, be careful with Chrome... its secure and clumsy at the same time. You best bet would be to try out Opera or something or see if you can get Chrome up long enough to save your bookmarks :)

20. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Thanks. I tried adding Opera and it kept freezing, don't know why. Is there a particular version I should try. I tried... 13 I think. And it kept freezing my computer.

I also cannot download Real Player.. I download it to the desk, click run and nothing happens.
    sigh..........
    I would not mind using Opera.

21. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\ does not exist.
    When I click on HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\ - Right pane says:4tiny blue letter I cannot read- then CLBVersion REG_ DWORD 0x0000000(7)

There is no ( 2F0E....) it is not in the registry.

I tried to upload screen shot but got this message
    Screen Shot.bmp:
    Your file of 1.16 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 97.7 KB for this filetype

22. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

OK, tried to edit and ran out of time.
    When I click on HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\ - Right pane says:4tiny blue letter I cannot read- then CLBVersion REG_ DWORD 0x0000000(7)

There is no ( 2F0E2680 etc....) it is not in the registry.
    I tried another screen shot and it said FAILED
    That registry entry you are looking for does not exist in my registry.

23. plodr

Did you click the + sign in front of CLSID? CLSID is way down in the list of HKEY_Classes_Root entries. (Probably more than 200 lines down from the first entry which is * under HKEY-Classes_Root)

24. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Let me check once more. I used edit find, but I want to try another way...
    It goes from 2F2f1F90- 2FEB951- next number after that is 30156....there are 9 that start with 2F

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  25. plodr

Well it appears that GoogleUpdate is not in your registry. I don't know what to tell you to do since you can't fix something that isn't there.

26. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Exactly and it will not let me download Google it give me ERROR 3
    And I can download Real Player but once downloaded I click run and nothing happens. I don't understand what is going on.

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them.
    Does anyone know a version of Opera that works well
    I don't know why it is not in the registry and I am wondering is that why I cannot download it?
    Have tried getting help from Google forums but many are having problems.
    I was fine with FF 3.6 when I reformatted it took me to FF 5 and it freezes or hangs up all the time.. or keeps threading so it looks like FF is not running but it still is in the background.

Thanks for your help..........

27. plodr

You can grab FF 3.6 here http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/10195/
    1. Download that version and put it on your desktop.
    2. Uninstall FF5. (Save your bookmarks; export as html file)
    3. Install FF 3.6 and as soon as it is installed, go in and turn off auto updating.
    You should then be able to continue with v 3.6.
    Import your bookmarks.

28. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Thanks, so, far , so good! Keeping fingers crossed and will give up on Chrome and Real Player. Just want something fast for watching movies... Chrome was good for that, Netflix, etc..
    Thanks for your time!

29. TMS

TMS Private E-2

I was having the same problem with chrome and fire fox hanging and freezing after I installed IOBit malware fighter. Chrome said it could not load my profile, I uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, no luck same problem. Yesterday I disabled IOBit malware fighter and chrome and Fire Fox work perfectly again. Must have some kind of conflict. I am running XP SP3, chrome 13 and FF 5.

30. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Are you using the Malware Fighter Pro , the one with a key or the free version?

I am missing HKEY that is the Google Updater it is gone!
    Can you install Real Player or do you not use that application.

Hmmm, interesting!
    Thanks I will check it out, but I do not want to lose my Malware Fighter Pro.
    I am going to see if I shut the program down and try to load in safe mode if that works.
    What version of Chrome and FF are you using.
    Thanks again.

31. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Malwarebytes = the shizzle. Try it out in safemode. I actually had something similar happen to me and the funny thing it was using that exact same combination of programs lol.

Im telling you sometimes you have to disable the add-ons and give it a shot too but I think its some kinda virus doing this.

32. TMS

TMS Private E-2

I am using the free version of MF. I am running FF6 and chrome 13 on XP sp3. I disabled MF and all of my problems disappeared. I am using all the other IOBit free software and am very pleased with it. I have posted on their site and found others are having the same problems with MF causing problems with chrome and FF, hopefully the will find a fix soon. I don't use real player.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  33. plodr

34. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I used it, it worked great for FF. However, I still cannot download Chrome. I think because that HKey.. mentioned below is missing and I do not know what to do to replace it.
    Your profile could not be opened correctly
    Some features may not be available.

Please check that the profile exists and you have permission to read and write it's contents.

35. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I fixed something else and now I found what you asked me to look for...
    In the right pane it says......Default Reg SZ Google Update Legacy on Demand.

I tried to download Google again and received this message

Your profile could not be opened correctly
    Some features may not be available.
    Please check that the profile exists and you have permission to read and write it's contents.
    Thanks!

36. plodr

I'll need to do some research on what that means. Unfortunately, I'm limited with time so it may take me several days to get to it.

37. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Thank you, take your time, I have FF working now, I am just wondering if it can be fixed. Thank you for your time it is appreciated.

38. plodr

39. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Yes, thank you! I knew you were busy and while I was there getting the Malware Fighter fix, oz gave me the fix for Chrome. It worked and for some reason Real Player is attached to Chrome so when I downloaded the updater for Chrome, Real Player came with it...
    I will delete Real Player, I really like VLan!
    Again, thanks for your help!! Greatly appreciated.

40. plodr

Fantastic!
    I like VLC too.

41. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

It's awesome, thanks for your help! Everything seems to be working now!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds