Microsoft tackles iPad with introduction of Surface tablet

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by COMPUABLE, Jun 18, 2012.

1. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

LOS ANGELES | Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:57pm EDT (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp introduced its own line of tablet computers on Monday at a much-hyped press event in Los Angeles, marking a major strategic shift for the software giant as it struggles to compete with Apple Inc and re-invent its aging Windows franchise. To Read More: Click Here

Good Luck! -- COMP

2. Dan the music man

Dan the music man Private E-2

well you know what they say, if you cant beat them join them!.. however there are that many different tablets out in the market now i doubt there will be much interest, Apple will always lead in that area of the market.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I saw one being demonstrated on TV last night. The nicest feature seems to be a real built-in keyboard in addition to the touch screen (I loathe touch screens. On a GPS unit they're OK; however I don't like typing on glass - I want a REAL keyboard).

I think that, for the average consumer, the two biggest "x" factors on how well it sells will be the price and how easy it is to use Windows 8.

If Microsoft is smart, they'll start at a price point that's lower than iPads and on par with higher end Android tablets ($400 - $450 base model). They'll also have to do some serious marketing and advertising of the advantages of their product versus the iPad.

Finally, Microsoft is going to have to entice developers to quickly rush Windows 8 "apps" that mimic those on the iPad into public release.

I hope Microsoft gets it right and offers serious competition to the iPad.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Stange as it seems Microsoft have had tablet softwware out far before Apple did, in the HP/Compaq TC1000 to name one sadly they did not evolve this software until this year with Windows 8, as Windows 8 does with a beefy CPU as in the Intel pro version, does lend itself to being a tablet PC in the very sense of the word as it will do all that a netbook/laptop/pc will do but smaller.

The add one clip keyboard that doubles up as a case is a great addition as it more importantly the inclusion of USB3.0 port.

I agree with GMan above in that MSFT have to price point this hardware at a price below the iPad to win any market share at all, but they have two devices a ARM based option which is basically the general user and the Intel Pro version that is for power and business users so I think MSFT have hit in part on the Blackberry potential that their device is for serious users and this may just work.

Windows 8 Pro version that will be on the Intel based device is pretty bomb proof as it stands now with all the options you need, and you can install the apps you love like Photoshop, CCleaner etc so does Apple give you this freedom?

Would like to hear with intrest what the OP thinks of this new device?

I cannot wait to try one of the Intel based Surface tablets and actually give real feedback on it as I have not yet had the pleasure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds