manuel defragment by human, Is thier a program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by g6qwerty, Mar 15, 2011.

1. g6qwerty

g6qwerty Private E-2

Is their a program that will show you the data, and let you yourself defragment the hard drive? I have looked on google and so far haven't found any relevant search results.

Some times I think I would do a more complete job than diskkeeper pro can on low hard drive space.

So i was wondering if anybody has come across any manual (by human) defragmentors that show the fragmented files and lets you move them around?

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I'm pretty familiar with the defragmenters out there and have never heard of such a program.

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Contig v1.6 will not show the data or let you move it manually,
    but you can be very specific about what file(s) to defragment.

Look at the available parameters to see what can be done.

4. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Might take a look at Ultimate Defrag. It isn't free but it does have a fully functional 30 day free trial.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

There are a couple of helpful user reviews Here.

7. g6qwerty

g6qwerty Private E-2

I tried Ultimate disk and ran it on the auto setting and it works quite well, and nice disk image viewer, and it was able to fully defrag the hard drive, I think i'll try running it later on my 250gb hdd with only 47mb free and see how well it dose that.

Its too bad that windows can't keep files from fragmenting, I wonder if their are any OS out there that would be able too?

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

not really its a nature of file systems unless every time you moved or deleted a file it would reorganize all your hard drive. As far as low space on a drive, you understand why a defragger doesn't work well right? it has no open space to move a large file to to reorganize the hard drive.

9. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

No problem Hrlow2. I've that version myself, but didn't see it available, so thought maybe they had discontinued it. Just didn't look hard enough.

Thanks.

10. g6qwerty

g6qwerty Private E-2

Though I would have though by now that some defragmenters would be able to load almost the whole file into ram and the move some other files around to make room. And Couldn't the OS keep its files that don't change size in the same spot and compact as well?

11. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

File fragmentation is not an error or even an indication of poor performance.
    It is simply an unavoidable occurrence with disk based file systems.

This article explains what File System Fragmentation is and what causes this.

The Operating System's file system does not do that, but some some defragmenters can use
    a strategy of moving system files to the beginning of the disk for faster access
    and also group other files together based on how often they are used or how large the
    files are.

MyDefrag is very good at that.
    Here you can read about the MyDefrag optimization strategy

Another defrager that has the option to move system files to the beginning of the disk
    and also perform other optimization is Auslogics Disk Defrag.

These are my two favorite defragmenters and I'm currently using Auslogics.

You should only use one defragmenter for a given period of time because they employ
    different methods of Optimizing and will actually work Against Each Other if you go
    back and forth between two or more defragmenters.

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

13. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

I agree with MA.

I tried Puran out when I was looking for a better Page File Defragger. Been very impressed with it. Was using Defraggler and still think its good enough for basic needs.

14. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I used Puran Defrag for a while and it is pretty cool.
    It can show you a fragmentation analysis before and after defraging.

As MA mentioned, it has several options like:
    • defrag, shutdown
    • reboot, boot time defrag, restart
    • reboot, boot time defrag, shutdown (?)

It also has optimization options that are easy to turn ON or OFF.

I have now gone back to using MyDefrag. ;)

15. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've been using the paid version of Distrix Ultimate Defrag and it's freekin' awesome, my favorite defrag program that I've tried (and I've tried A LOT of 'em). They have a free version that I had a hard time tracking down, it doesn't seem to be here at MG anymore (I think it was here awhile back). The paid version has a fully functional 30 day free trial; the free version can be found here (MG mods/admins: feel free to change this link if this is available here at MG). Other good defraggers: Puran, Auslogics, MyDefrag/JkDefrag. All are free and available in the Drive Utilities section here at MajorGeeks.

IMO - manually selecting files and visually defragging them doesn't seem like a great idea. I think it's best to do the whole drive at once, but that's just me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds