I hate people who come to yard sales..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BluesMan, Jun 5, 2004.

1. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

Wife and neighbor decide to have a yard sale. I help out and put some good stuff out there, 27" color tv, Arai Quantum F series helmet with tinted visor in MINT condition, tank bag, etc.

So this guy comes along and says he needs the helmet for a mannequin at his shop and offers like 5 bucks. It's a 235 dollar helmet and I have it marked at 50 and would come down a bit to get rid of it. But 5 dollars? Give me a break.

/end rant

2. slider

slider Major Wise-***

My favorite was the old witch who tried to get something for nothing, finally bought some 25 cent book, and payed with a $100 bill. I made change. Mostly in quarters. :D

3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

She brought a hundred dollar bill to a garage sale??? What a doofus!

People always think that yard/garage sales are full of crap they should get for free. Or, they think that everyone running a sale is stupid, and they've seen the stories where someone sells something for a dollar that's really a long-lost VanGogh painting or something. We do one every other summer, and I can't believe the crap people will try to get away with. Last year, we had a guy try to steal the boom box we were listening to, because it was clearly marked "not for sale". Apparently that means you should steal it, not that we don't want to get rid of it. :rolleyes:

4. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

Guy with a Harley just bought the helmet and gloves. He almost had a stroke trying to get his wallet out fast enough to pay for the stuff. LOL!!

5. Spears Dracona

Spears Dracona Private E-2

Before we moved a few years ago, we were having a garage sale. There was all kinds of cool stuff. I can't remember who it was, but someone famous actually came to the garage sale. It was cool. Anyway, these kids kept coming and they were saying that the stuff we were selling wasn't worth as much as we were selling for, when in fact, a lot of it was worth a lot more. I got mad every time I was in charge of stuff. I kept wanting to thwap people who were criticizing my stuff. "This stuff is all crap," a person would say, and in my head I'd be picking up a board and screaming "DIE!" Also, people kept trying to buy stuff like the lawnmowers and the other various objects which said they weren't for sale. It was so annoying. I never want to have a garage sale again, but they're fun to go to.

6. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

LOL :)

7. COBRA90GT

COBRA90GT Private First Class

five bux? Hell, I woulda gave ya ten! j/k :)

8. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Beware! AA has gone off on a tangent again.

I get a kick out of people who come into the store I work at and try to barter with us like we're a garage sale. People just can't seem to operate the brain that God gave them. Businesses are there to make money, you can't make money or even break even if you sell for less than cost. Heck, you can't break even when you sell for less than 15%(maybe higher) gross margin. (which translates to making a gross profit of $15 for every $100 in sales) There are bills, taxes, wages, and other things that come out of that $50. Too many cheap people. They want to make lots of money themselves, but heaven forbid if they have to pay 49cents for numbers to stick on their $20,000 boat. :rolleyes: And people wonder why everything is made in a different country.

9. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

I feel your pain Blues. Some people are just rediculous. When I go to a yard sale, I look at the stuff, and the price on it. If I want it, I buy it. No haggling.
    I hate wasting peoples time.

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Tell him you'd sell it to him for 250 and take 15 bucks off.. ;)

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I had a garage sale once (just once). I finally put up a sign that read "All prices are final. If you want to negotiate, join the U.N.".

12. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

You don't get how garage sales work, do you? NO ONE puts the lowest price they'll take on every item in the sale. Negotiating is part of the whole deal of garage/yard sales.

Not that you should take less than your lowest (like $5.00 for a helmet marked $50.00), but if you won't take any less than $1.00 for something, price it at $2.00 or $3.00, and then the customer will feel like they got a deal, and it's entirely possible you'll get more than you expected for something.

13. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

yeah, like what albertson's does. they overprice everything then they heavily discount it. people think they save a whole ton of money on stuff even though they probably could have gotten it cheaper at, say, snob hill.

14. debbie

debbie Private First Class

we usually have a yard sale once or twice a year- aside from people banging on the door at 6 am, i actually enjoy it. I mark things a little higher than what i REALLY want and they either pay it, or offer lower, either way I am happy.

I am picky about what i put in them though- nothing broken (and if it is i will SAY it is- maybe someone can use it for parts), i clean everything (even if its a bargain, it shouldnt be dirty), etc...I also make available an extension cord so they can plug stuff in and make sure it works- cause once you buy it, its YOURS!!!

I even have a box of junky old toys for little kids to take (free of charge! - I want them GONE!....lmao)
    parents LOVE that!

15. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I do get it, it's just not worth the time invested for so little money. Most of the people are the $5 for a $250 helmet because 20% of new cost is too much for the cheapskates. I take my stuff over to my sister's or my friend's sales now. All of this $5 talk only reminds me of Full Metal Jacket :D

16. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

so do i, they come up, touch things, move them around, with no intention whatsoever of buying them, and then leave

17. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

I hate everyone. It's much simpler than weeding out the morons.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds