nVIDIA drivers don't detect my GeForce card

Discussion in 'Software' started by raposatu, Aug 22, 2005.

1. raposatu

raposatu Private E-2

Hello. I've run into a really weird problem and I can't think of anything that may help me fix it (except begging for help here :eek: )

I recently got a GeForce 2 Ti card installed on a work related computer. I need it to do some pretty basic OpenGL programming.

But every time I try to install an nVIDIA driver for it (various Detonator or Forceware versions, I've tried them all - 12.xx, 23.xx, 45.xx, 77.xx) I get a message saying that there's no compatible card in my computer. I'm certain the card IS a GeForce 2 Ti and I know for sure that it previously worked fine, on a different computer, with some Forceware drivers.

I first encountered this nuisance in win2k and then decided to move to winxp to see what happens. Windows XP detected it and automatically installed the drivers bundled in the OS. So I got some decent 3D acceleration in DirectX apps, but OpenGL performance was really crappy. I then tried installing the nVIDIA drivers, but I got the same error as in win2k.

I also tried manually installing by pointing the "add new hardware" wizard to the *.inf file. It didn't work.

Any idea what may be causing this and how I might be able to fix it?

2. raposatu

raposatu Private E-2

some nVIDIA drivers detect my GeForce card

Looks like I managed to install an old 28.80 version that does the job fine. But it's still really weird. Has nVIDIA silently dropped support for GeForce2 Ti in the newer drivers? The site says the lastest drivers should be compatible with everything from TNT 2 and up. And yet the setup always says that compatible hardware was not found on my comp.

3. tentpeg

tentpeg Private E-2

nVidia has finally dropped support for these cards now and is slowly working its way through as new models come up. Are you sure it is a GeForce2Ti though cos thought Ti only came out with the GeForce 3 models? Knew of a GeForce2 256, GT and Ultra but not a Ti.

PS Try going and buying another card to fully appreciate the way your pc is meant to be ran. :cool:

4. raposatu

raposatu Private E-2

nVIDIA did release a Ti revision for GeForce2. It was designed to replace GeForce2 Pro i think.

I don't need all that raw power for my machine so a Geforce2 will suffice. ;)

5. tentpeg

tentpeg Private E-2

Cheers Rapo...Leaarn something new every day....must have skipped my wish list that one ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds