CD RW Drive Attempts Suicide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 12quidkidinnit, Dec 19, 2006.

1. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

The CD RW drive on my internet pc tried to destroy itself earlier this evening. Occasionally, it has made a loud noise when spinning up discs, but tonight, it went one better than that. I was installing USB 2.0 drivers off the installation CD, well, that was the idea, it just didn't quite turn out that way. The drive spun like it's never done before, (sounded like an electric food blender) and then made a loud bang. I pressed the eject button, and when the drawer opened, the disc only came half way out. I had to pull it the rest of the way, and this was what it looked like (it was unmarked before this !)

[​IMG]

It looks like the drive tried to punch a hole through the disc, and there's a definite ridge where something hit it. It sticks up so maybe I won't risk putting it anywhere near a computer again. I downloaded the driver I needed off the Belkin site instead.
    The amazing thing is, the CD drive still works. I've used it twice since that incident and it still burns CDs.

Just thought I'd tell you that. :)

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hahaha, that's something though even if it burns well, I wouldn't trust it. I hope you don't mind but I grabbed your image for the future. :)

3. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

No problem, feel free to use the picture. I know what you mean about not trusting that drive. Obviously something worn inside for it to make noises like that. It came out of an old pc I got from the tip. I was amazed it worked at all when I got it. At least it wasn't the DVD burner. Then I would be annoyed. :)

4. closet haxzor

closet haxzor Private E-2

I have never heard of such a thing. :) I guess just make sure you are useing the right right drivers for that CD RW drive. I suggest getting the latest from the manufacturers website.

Doubt that would have anything to do with it, but just an idea.

5. Crimson Wolf

Crimson Wolf Private E-2

lmfao, tht dont sound too good...i'd prb;y go out buy another drive b4 it does some serious damage....like self-destruct or sumthin, lol

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  6. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

dude, that is not supposed to happen! You MIGHT want a new drive?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds