Boot Up Takes Long Time to Display Desktop Icons Correctly

Discussion in 'Software' started by COMPUABLE, Dec 5, 2011.

1. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

The Problem: Boot Up Takes Long Time to Display Desktop Icons Correctly

The problem here is not the actual boot-up time – that is fine. The problem occurs as the icons appear on the desktop. As they each appear they all look exactly the same (generic looking unloaded icon) for about a minute or two then they look OK. Wondering if something in my registry got messed up recently. Looking for advice on how to troubleshoot this issue so I can fix the improperly loading desktop icons.

The second related problem that I'm having is that after the icons appear OK; when I right click on them (or double click) to open them there is a long pause (about 15-30 seconds) before they open.

Windows XP Home (SP3) Build 2600

Side Note: Also, just to let you know; I already searched the web and found numerous references to the problem XP users had with icons not appearing at all at boot up or taking a long time to appear. My problem is not that the icons do not appear at all - they appear on the desktop - but just do not appear correctly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

COMP

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Thanks so much plodr... Both suggestions were great: Problem Solved. :-D

I took an old Win XP computer out of mothballs over the weekend and I've been sprucing it up a bit. I'm also having a bit of a hard time getting the DVD/RW drive to function; but I'll start a new thread for that problem...

Thanks again!

COMP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds