Flash/Display Driver? crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by helpmeplease2, Jun 16, 2015.

1. helpmeplease2

helpmeplease2 Private E-2

Hello again MajorGeeks. I have been having an issue for some months now. I found a work around but would like to try a fix. When some videos are playing in Flash, it crashes my computer. The blue screen states it's an issue with my display driver. I turned off Flash movies from Auto playing as a work around. I have checked the HP website for a updated driver but found none. I reinstalled Flash. I have looked around the web and tried some tweaks that I have already forgotten but I am ready to try to resolve this. Can you try to help please? Thanks in advance

2. helpmeplease2

Hi. Thank you for your response. HP Pavilion G7 - 1154nr Notebook PC Laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64, Service Pack 1

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. helpmeplease2

Thank you. I will re-enable Shockwave flash object to allow the crash and report back promptly.

5. helpmeplease2

Hi. Well it took a little bit to start playing videos on its own but just now crashed, 6/24,so thank you for hanging in there. I don't see todays date but I feel confident it's reporting the same. Also, it has crashed more than 11 times.
    System Information (local)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: A-LAPTOP-HP
    windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
    windows dir: C:\Windows
    Hardware: HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC, Hewlett-Packard, 3568
    CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD A4-3300M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AMD586, level: 18
    2 logical processors, active mask: 3
    RAM: 3734405120 total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 4/11/2015 11:34:09 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\041115-18018-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
    Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
    Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Tue 10/28/2014 6:02:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102814-17940-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF8800432280C)
    Bugcheck code: 0x117 (0xFFFFFA8005CBA4E0, 0xFFFFF8800432280C, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
    product: AMD driver
    company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
    Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

On Thu 9/4/2014 6:36:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090414-17004-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF8800412D80C)
    Bugcheck code: 0x117 (0xFFFFFA8006BE8340, 0xFFFFF8800412D80C, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
    Bug check description: This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
    Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

On Wed 8/6/2014 1:46:42 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080514-35209-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x780C)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800456E4E0, 0xFFFFF88003EE380C, 0x0, 0x2)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Mon 7/28/2014 4:22:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072814-50700-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: unknown_module_00000000_00000001.sys (Unknown_Module_00000000_00000001+0x115)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8006415010, 0xFFFFF8800429680C, 0x0, 0x2)
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: unknown_module_00000000_00000001.sys .
    Google query: unknown_module_00000000_00000001.sys VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sat 6/21/2014 2:44:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062014-31418-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFF80002E8ABC0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8005D254E0, 0xFFFFF880042A180C, 0x0, 0x2)
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
    Google query: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Tue 5/20/2014 12:24:05 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052014-22214-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ndis.sys (ndis+0x8323)
    Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x109B, 0x4040084, 0xFFFFFA8005BAD850)
    Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NDIS 6.20 driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 4/10/2014 7:07:01 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\041014-25334-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x780C)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80046BC010, 0xFFFFF880042DB80C, 0x0, 0x2)

On Thu 10/24/2013 5:48:22 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102413-27144-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFF88003CF46E4)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8005E9B2D0, 0xFFFFF88003D0E80C, 0x0, 0x2)
    Google query: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Wed 2/13/2013 10:58:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021313-24460-01.dmp
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800584C4E0, 0xFFFFF880011AB80C, 0x0, 0x2)

Conclusion

11 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
    unknown_module_00000000_00000001.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Attached Files:

• ATI.jpg
      ATI.jpg
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. helpmeplease2

Satrow, Hi. Thank you for the reply. Does it help at all to tell you that when I disable the ability of Flash to auto-launch videos, it does not crash? I do still play videos on you tube and video games.

8. satrow

There are a lot of rogue Flash versions out there, Flash has been a major target for malware for years.

Download the Flash uninstaller and the ESR Flash version(s) for your browser(s), shutdown all browsers, run the uninstaller and then install the ESR Flash version(s).

Links for the above are found here: http://securitygarden.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/out-of-band-critical-adobe-flash-player.html

Your AMD graphics drivers, where did you update those from, AMD or HP?

9. helpmeplease2

Thank you. I will follow your directions and report back in about week if crashes have stopped and sooner if they have not. I got the driver from HP's site.

10. satrow

Good - and never from AMD? If so, download a fresh version of the graphics driver from HP and install that, too.

11. helpmeplease2

Pretty sure I did not update from AMD since I do drivers by my HP model number but I will go check if there is a new one since last month when I checked. Listen, I would like to make sure we are on the same page so I am going to specifically tell you some things. You may already know what I was trying to convey but I want to be sure. When I typed "I turned off Flash so my videos don't auto play.", this is what I do. I go to I.E., Click Tools, Manage Add-ons, Click on "Shockwave Flash Object" , click "More Information" in the below Left, then click "Remove all sites" which removed the all asterisk (*) The reason why I am mentioning this is because when I uninstalled Adobe Flash, I did a search for the word "flash" in C:/. I noticed it did not uninstall Flash Object.js and that there are 2 entries of the same file. I included a *picture*. When I reinstalled Adobe Flash, and went to a web site, it was still prompting me for the Flash add on as if it did not refresh/remove/reinstall that file. *Picture below* The prompt only occurs when I manually go in and remove the *. So to me it seemed like it should have reset the * back after a reinstall.Can I remove and reinstall those 2 Flash Object.js? If so, how do I do this please? The only reason I am thinking this may be at least part of the problem is it was the only work around I did that actually stopped me from crashing. I am not a Windows doctor like you but I have always felt pretty comfortable troubleshooting and fixing computer issues. My instinct points at this .js file but again I may be way off course. Hope I am not frustrating you with my attempt to help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  12. satrow

From the dates on those Flash Object.js files it looks like they're part of the original Windows files. Running the Flash uninstaller should have uninstalled all Flash-related files.

Uninstalling Flash does not reset IE, I would have been surprised if you didn't still need to manually allow Flash. You can undo the Flash setting in IE's Manage Add-ons now and test it again, if you like (though it will make you more susceptible to malware).

13. helpmeplease2

ok. when I go under "Tools" in IE and "Manage add ons", it does show the " Shockwave flash object" was installed today. Do you think the 2 files I sent you a screen shot of could be butting heads like when you install 2 Virus programs ? Do you want to just do a wait and see for now?

14. satrow

No, the files must be in different folders, there shouldn't be a problem with them.

What's this about 2 different Antivirus programs? What are they?

15. helpmeplease2

Hi. I was just using that as a comparison. I do not have 2 different virus programs. I will try out the new flash install and see if that works. Thank you for your time.

16. helpmeplease2

Hi. Well I did the flash reinstall. I remembered Topix has the most intense video/ads so went there to see if it would crash. It did. So, I went to look at the drivers as you said. HP has a lot of drivers updated since April. I am downloading them now. Before I install them, may I ask, should I do the Bios first or should I do these in any particular order? It seems I read something about this years ago but not sure if it's relevant now.

17. satrow

Limit it to the graphics driver for now.

Also set Flash to 'Ask to activate', either in control Panel or in IE's Add-ons section.

18. helpmeplease2

Ok on the driver. Thank you. So, to be clear, when you typed "set Flash to 'Ask to activate'" is that the "Shockwave Flash object", In "Manage add ons", that I removed the "*" (all) from before? I did not see anything that specifically displayed 'ask to activate'

19. satrow

Ah, I don't see Ask to activate for IE either, maybe it can't be set that way (other browsers can).

Try checking Reliability Reports and getting an MS check on the 0x116's, there's a good chance they'll point you to a hotfix that might help.

Control Panel > Action Center > Maintenance > View Reliability history, in the second error row (Windows failures) click the 'x's until you see the 'Video hardware error' - Click the 'check for a solution' link and follow that through, do the same for several others.

You may not get a Hotfix link immediately but if you do the same in a day or two, the link should be waiting.

The trouble with all these little 'fixes' is that they're all workarounds, the only way to make real progress with this 0x116 is to troubleshoot the cause/rule out all you can from the possible causes. Back to #6...

20. helpmeplease2

Hi. I did not do the last thing you posted because I wanted to see if the advice you gave before that fixed it. So far I have not had any crashes. If it does crash again, I will follow the last post. So, thank you for your time in helping me resolve this issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds