Only boots to last known good configuration

Discussion in 'Software' started by el jay, Jun 24, 2015.

1. el jay

el jay Private E-2

Hello,I hope this is in the correct place. My computer (HP dc5100 XP Pro sp3) will only boot to last known good configuration. Safe or normal boot gets BSOD, error code 0x0000007b (0xf789e524, 0xc000000e, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). After boot it will say it is loading drivers, then that the drivers loaded but may not work till I reboot, which of course brings the same BSOD. Most programs work with this boot into last known good, but USD drives don't work even though they are correctly identified in device manager, and in the safe removal menu. I've been trying to solve this for about a month now. I've been working on computers for nearly 20 years, but I can't get this one. That is a first for me-I've never met a problem I couldn't solve till now. Thanks much.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

el jay...

I guess you have tried system restore? Do you have a sp3 installation disk? Running sfc /scannow with an installation disk might at least get you started.

The other thing that comes to mind is chkdsk /r. Open command prompt from Accessories in the start menu, then just type chkdsk /r.

I guess somewhere in the past month you probably tried these...

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You may have gotten a Boot Sector virus. The error code 0x0000007b refers to an inaccessible boot device.

If you can, go to the Malware Removal forum and go COMPLETELY through "Read and Run Me First" and post a new thread in the Malware Forum.

If virus removal doesn't solve the issue, you're faced with completely WIPING the drive and re-installing XP SP3.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. el jay

el jay Private E-2

Hello and thanks for your response. Yes, I have tried these. The problem with sfc is that I get a pop-up telling me that I have the wrong CD, but of course it is the correct CD. Thanks again.

5. el jay

el jay Private E-2

Thanks Mdonah, I'll take another look at "Read and Run Me First".

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The CD you were using has SP3 included? I ask because if it is a CD that came with the computer and doesn't have SP3, it will report that it is the wrong CD.

7. el jay

el jay Private E-2

Thanks Plodr, I have tried 3 XP cds: the original XP Professional with no service packs that I used to install originally, one that I slipstreamed with SP2 and one slipstreamed with SP3. All are tested good. Meaning all boot, recovery console works, and I can install with them to harddrives. Thanks.

8. el jay

el jay Private E-2

Hi guys, thanks for your input. I think I got it now. I'm not sure which one did the trick (when I was just new to computers I used to reboot and try after every single thing I changed; now I don't-too time consuming and I'll wear out my 'puter from rebooting!) but I uninstalled a backup program that was trying to monitor disks, and I installed a miniport. So far so good. Now I'm off to the malware forum to make sure I'm clean. Thanks again to all who tried to help. TTFN.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds