ATI Mobility Radeon 9700....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shonuff5, Jan 1, 2006.

1. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

I have a prostar laptop, and my ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 is messing up really bad. The problem is, i'm not sure if it's software, or hardware related. When I install the driver, the screens messes up really bad, having all kinds of lines and dots in the picture. But, when I uninstall the driver, the picture doesn't look as good, and I lose resolution, but it doesn't have all the lines and dots in the picture.

Is there any wau to determine rather it's hardware, or software related? Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What driver set are you using?

I've found the Omega drivers work best for Mobility chipsets.

Of course, I'm on a Mac, so I rely soley on Apple to provide my 9700 driver.

3. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

I just tried the omega driver, and it's doing the same thing. :(

4. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

One more thing,, if I turn off the hardware acceleration, it seems to work fine, but I am a gamer, and playing games on a good card with the acceleration turned off, really makes no sense.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Your card might have failed. In fact, its likely. If it can't run with hardware acceleration, it doesn't bode well for it. The reason the "VGA" driver works is because its not using acceleration.

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

So does it do it if you move the hardware acceleration slider up a notch? If it does then I'd agree with Adrynalyne that the card may be a goner. :mad:

7. jimmyboy

jimmyboy Private E-2

Yep, sounds like you may need to RMA your laptop back to Prostar.

8. shonuff5

shonuff5 Private E-2

This really makes me sad, I just replaced the HD, now th video card too? What are the chances of both the HD, and the VC frying at the same time?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Pretty good, if a shock went through the system, say from static electricity.

Pretty common for laptops, a shock hits the machine through the touchpad.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds