Can't ping router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4ts, Jan 7, 2007.

1. 4ts

4ts Private E-2

I am using a router as an internet gateway and I have an ip address from the router and am able to access the internet but the connection is not always constant and if I try to ping the router it always times out even though I have access to the internet through it. Could it be that my 50 foot ethernet cable is too long?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

The maximum ethernet segment length for 10/100 networks is 100 meters. Maybe just try another cable and see if the problem persists.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

for cat five we routinly run 100 foot, cat6 we run upto 150, and haven't had a problem. Your router may not be pingable, might look in your router manual and check to make sure its set to be pingable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds