Do you know any good free partition software that you can do form windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by pclover, May 26, 2007.

1. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Do you know any good free partition software that you can do form windows so you can have dual boot Xp and Vista. I don't want to pay 70 bucks for Norton PartitionMagic 8.0. Thanks

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Do you have Vista pre-installed on a built system?

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

No i have xp right now on it i have the vista disk right in front of me. The pc came with xp

4. augiedoggie

That's easy then since you format all the time. Divide your disk say 20GB for XP and 50GB for Vista and partition the rest for your data. Very easy to do on a clean disk from the CD/DVD

Just install XP first, otherwise you'll have trouble with Vista's boot manager.

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Thats the problem i don't have an XP disk. I just have a vista disk my pc is preebilt

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

am i screwed? Do i have to buy the software?

7. augiedoggie

Try Cute Partition Manager, a couple of people I know liked it but they weren't installing Vista though. Give it a shot if you have some time to spare as Vista doesn't play well with partition managers. I can't try it as I only have this one PC and can't risk it.

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Tryed that didn't work

9. augiedoggie

Too bad but don't spend bucks for PM or Acronis, not yet anyways as they are not Vista friendly. What kind of system you do have? That may help.

10. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Compaq

11. augiedoggie

I'll look around for you. There must be a way besides the money route which may not even work in the first place.

12. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

ok thank you

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

14. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Tryed that. It just messed up my HD so i had to format and reinstall windows

15. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

That's no good.......won't link that one anymore. :(

Steve

16. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I will try that one more time and if it docent work ill try something else. I can always reinstall windows

17. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

No it didn't work. It made a partition but then my vista DVD wouldn't boot up it said loading files then copyright Microsoft then it went to a blank screan

18. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I got dual boot to work. I can now boot into XP and Vista. I used DISKPART. It works YAY so happy lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds