How do I keep the desktop icons from moving from my selected positions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I am running Win 8.1 and the desktop icons will move without my permission. I reset them and they stay there for a while but then, without notice, they will be moved to the right and scrambled. "Align icons to grid" is checked.

I have checked other threads but they are all geared to moving icons in XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

j

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

When you align icons to a grid, it will manage them for you automatically, which includes moving them around.

If you change resolution a lot, such as coming to and fro a game, this could cause them to do that.

I used to use this many years ago, and it worked wonderfully.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/icon_restore.html

I know it isn't supported past XP, but this is a pretty simplistic process, and I doubt that MS has changed the method of handling it.

Make a restore point first before trying it.

If it doesn't work, let me know. I can probably build a quick and dirty app to do this.

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

4. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Downloaded and installed the app but I do not have any system icons on my desktop. Windows 8.1 sucks. I do not know if it works or not.

I don't change screen resolutions ever. I do have the desktop background pictures which cycle and they are of different resolutions. I would be very disappointed if that is the case. I happen to like those pictures! :cry

5. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I hope this works with Windows 8.1. :confused

6. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

I also recommend DesktopOK.
    Homepage for DesktopOK - http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK

7. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

PROBLEM SOLVED

Thanks, guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds