Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deuce47, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Deuce47

Deuce47 Private E-2

Hello...

What does it mean when a Network Connection ("Local Area Connection 3 is the name") just says "Enable" rather than "Connected". It's plugged into a D-Link switch and all lights are on, so it doesn't appear to be the switch. This particular computer is acting as a server to another workstation that can't connect to it.

Now, I'd say it was the network card, but it just seems odd to me that their dial-up connection went down at around the same time they lost the local connection. I find it odd that both the modem and NIC could go bad at the same time.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC, but that didn't help.

They are using static IP's on both computers btw.

Any help would be great.

2. Deuce47

Deuce47 Private E-2

3. Josh222

Josh222 Private E-2

If it says "Enable" does that not mean that is currently disabled so therefore cannot be connected becasue its not on?

4. Deuce47

Deuce47 Private E-2

No, not when you right-click the connection. I mean underneath where it says Local Area Connection, when the connection is enabled and it successfully obtains an ip address, it will say "Connected" or sometimes "Connected, Firewalled". But, this just said "Enabled". I could right-click it, then disable and enable the connection, it WOULD obtain an IP, but instead of saying "Connected". it said "Enabled". When I checked the "status", it was sending and recieving a low amount of packets at a very slow rate. After reinstalling the OS, it's working fine now. But I'd still like to know if there was something else I could have tried.

I've never seen anything like it.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds