This is regarding xp background processes

Discussion in 'Software' started by AmatsuRain, Oct 27, 2004.

1. AmatsuRain

AmatsuRain Private E-2

Hey, this site is a tremendous help, and I just wanted to thank the creators of it.
    Anyway, these processes which i've tried everything to delete, keep on popping up.

The processes are: Winssv.exe, Windnsd.exe, sp2update.exe, msmsgs.exe, and waucrlt.exe, and another one similar to the last one.
    And sometimes I get random processes popping up for no apparent reason, like webrebates, which i'm assuming is spyware. So I just use "Adware SE" to remove it. Anyway the steps i've used to try to delete all those processes are msconfig, regedit, add remove programs (doubt those processes are with programs though, but oh well), regedit in "Command prompt" for xp.
    And I've tried saving the registry after I edited it in command prompt, and it still keeps on coming back up. Also i've tried disabling system restore because I thought that had something to do with it. But i'm not sure if I disabled it correctly because "Alerter" is off and some other things under services. And it said something about not being able to send something to the administrator account.

Anyway I could use the help if anyone can spare it.
    And I hope nobody tells me to upgrade my memory, I don't feel like it, and without those processes my system runs a LOT faster. I tested it out.
    When I start the system in safemode, none of those processes are activated and it takes me about 40 seconds to get into safe mode.
    While booting into normal mode, my boot time is 1:20

Computer stats:
    Memory: 184

A response asap would be greatly appreciate,

Thank you.

2. AmatsuRain

AmatsuRain Private E-2

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that I have Adware SE, Keiro Firewall, SpyBot Search and Destroy, and Norton Antivirus 2005.

I also used Norton last night and found 9 viruses, and had them deleted.
    By the way a couple of those processes, like two of them, were named viruses on this site I went to.

3. AmatsuRain

AmatsuRain Private E-2

Lol, hey i'm sorry for so many posts, but I found out I have some more cleaning software like CClean up and Executive Software Diskeeper (Which is a defraging program), and SpyBlaster.

4. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Hi AmatsuRain,

Generally, we like people to run through the Cleanup Tutorial HERE:
    READ ME FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR SUPPORT: Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal

This will get rid of a lot of crap that would otherwise show up in a HijackThis Log. I realize that you have done some of this already and there are a few steps that might give you problems, but if you humor us and run through them again, we'll be able to get you fixed up faster! ;)

Note the steps that you can and cannot complete. Please make sure that you are in Safe Mode with System Restore OFF and have the Viewing of Hidden Files ENABLED as per the instructions in the link. Make sure to do the Online Scans. Also, make sure that the tools that you already have are up-to-date.

Post back with the results from the above instructions in the Spyware Specific Forum and we’ll go from there.

Best luck :)
    PP

5. mag00

mag00 Sergeant

You may also want to use hijack this from the home page under spyware. You can do alot of damage (imean tweaking) with it. I'm not to versed on xp but have good luck with it on 98 http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

6. AmatsuRain

AmatsuRain Private E-2

OMG, Thank you so much, it completely worked.
    I mean, Hijack this, i found those pesky processes and deleted them and they did not reappear what so ever. I'm going to try to delete a few more.
    And don't worry, i'm not going to mess up my system, I know which ones are processes and which ones are important for the os.

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, one more thing, which is kind of important to me.
    I'm having problems with yahoo toolbar which I really like to use.
    I'm usinng IE6 And XP, and for some reason it keeps on getting deleted (Toolbar). Funny thing is I still have the software installed on my computer, and when I reinstall it it reappears back in IE.
    Any advice or help would be appreciated.

7. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Hey AmatsuRain,

If you want to hack your registry with HijackThis, no one here can stop you.
    Just bear in mind that HJT does not delete the corresponding bad files (except in the cases of some BHOs) - they remain on your computer until you manually remove them.

Happy Hacking ;)
    PP

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I agree somewhat with the above regarding HiJack This.

AmatsuRain, I don't know exactly what steps you have taken and what remains, but you very likely have several worms, Winssv.exe, and Windnsd.exe etc that can compromise your security and at best swallow your resources.

If you have properly removed them, ignore my reply, if not, they will still be resident.

9. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Hi Insomniac,

What part do you not agree with? I'm not cranky - Just curious ;)

I do think that your reply is better than mine, by the way.

Best,
    PP

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It's not so much that I don't agree with "a certain part" of what you said (which I do), it's more that I'm not aware of the author's skill level.

Reading my post again I can understand how it can be read as though I don't agree with part of what you said, but that certainly wasn't the spirit of my reply.

My brain and fingers unfortunately don't communicate with each other very well on occassions.

It's my vague way of saying that HiJack This is a great tool in the right hands, but next to useless, misleading or dangerous in the wrong hands.

11. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Well put! I've seen far to many people running HJT improperly lately and it bugs me when people think it is some kind of "Magic Bullet" or miracle cure for an ill computer. One of the reasons I like the Spyware Specific Forum here at MGs is that an attempt is made to educate people about Malware so that they do not return in a few weeks with another HJT log filled with more crap.

Best,
    PP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds