Compaq factory restore

Discussion in 'Software' started by Daniela, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Daniela

Daniela Private First Class

Hi everybody. I have Compag Presario 5000( very slow full with trojans and malware...), with Win XP home OS. I want to restore to factory setting, reformat hdd and reinstall all over again. I have Compaq recovery CD, which came with this PC. I tried to restore to factory settings from the CD, I was prompt that I will lose all my files, click continue, them I was prompted that “working” and after to take out CD and reboot. After rebooting nothing happened. I was back on my old settings, no factory restore at all.
    Can somebody tell me how to restore tio its factory settings?
    Thanks

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I would attempt to do it again. This is a very unusual circumstance, a call to Compaq for a replacement CD may be required.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. Daniela

I tried a couple times and all the time is the same. I call Compaq too, but they weren’t from any help. They want me to make purchase for Recovery CDs, and the girl that I was talking didn’t have a clue how to help me with this Recovery CD.
    I don’t have restore CDs I only have Recovery CD. All files that I need for restore are stored in another partition of the HDD, but I don’t know how to access them with this Recovery CD. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Daniela

5. Ayanla

Ayanla Private E-2

When I had my compaq, the recovery cd could be used to restore the system or repair it.

Reread that link Halo posted, print it out, and make sure you're following the instructions exactly. Pay particular attention to the following part (assuming we're talking about a desktop)

The recovery window automatically starts; wait for the onscreen instructions to display, and then follow the instructions:
    • If your PC hard disk is blank or corrupted, press R to perform a full system recovery. Insert the remaining CDs when directed.
    • For standard recovery:
      1. Press R, and then press the R key again.
      2. Click Next to proceed with the non-destructive system recovery.
      3. Click Yes to start the recovery. Insert the remaining CDs when directed.
    • For full system recovery:
      1. Press R, and then press the Fkey again.
      2. Click Yes to perform the full system recovery.
      3. Insert the remaining CDs when directed.
    Be sure you are doing the second "For full system recovery" method. It sounds like you are doing the first option. I've never heard of it not formatting when it says it is :\

6. Daniela

Thanks for your replay. I can’t follow steps from Halo’s link because I don’t have Restore CDs , I have Recovery CD which is different.
    Daniela

7. Daniela

8. Ayanla

Ayanla Private E-2

That article you linked does not apply here. If the CD ran a non format recovery ok, then it is finding the restore files on the D drive, and therefore you do not need the quickrestore CD.

The recovery CD that came with your compaq, and the files currently on your D drive, are all you need to restore the computer to the state it was in when you bought it. There will still be things installed that came on the oem disk, like AOL (probably) Microsoft Works etc. It won't be a totally clean windows install, because OEM disks don't do a perfectly clean Windows install, and the restore disks you're talking about from Compaq won't do that either. It will, however, get rid of malware and all your data and programs you installed after you bought the PC.

9. Ayanla

Ayanla Private E-2

10. Daniela

Yes, this is exactly what I did and after removing CD and rebooting I’m back to my all settings with all “garbage” in there . The Recovery CD should access all files from D: partition and restore C: to its faculty settings. This from some reason doesn’t work. I didn’t make any change in D: partition, so I have no clue why doesn’t work….

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds