BSOD's- Multiple ... Crashes ... Referred here from Malware Forum!

Discussion in 'Software' started by imcaf_fl, Jul 3, 2013.

1. imcaf_fl

imcaf_fl Private E-2

I've had my computer go to 'Blue Screen of Death' and crash approximately 8 times in 4 days [I think]. I'm including the link that started this - a thread on the Malware Forum with TimW - may or may not have any bearing, but includes documentation and his referral here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=277762

Prior to his suggesting this and my additional reading I thought this might be a driver issue and read that forum also because of this {I also did things they suggested and updated drivers}:

I installed Privatefirewall last week and uninstalled ZoneAlarm, after reading on the Malware forum of the more highly rated firewalls. Since that time I've had 3 BSOD's. - whoops, just had a 4th! The particular details of these I'll list below. When I ran "WhoCrashed", I found out the driver & program that's causing it is the pwipf6.sys from Privacyware/PWI, Inc., or Privatefirewall...
    "3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers: pwipf6.sys (pwipf6, Privacyware/PWI, Inc.)"

I checked and I'm running the latest version - no updates found.

It also suggested:
    "If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems."

• I did this and got very old posts suggesting that pwipf6.sys was a virus or that virus' could disguise themselves as this, etc., but all referred to PWI {Private Firewall, Inc.}.
    • I did use my Iobit Driver Manager and updated some 'ancient' drivers - they were all audio drivers.
    ~ Then last night I was moving several photo files from a camera SD card to a flash drive and the computer crashed & blue screened. I made sure I scanned the drive & card and both were
    virus clean. I was online when the 2nd two happened, trying to research this problem on MajorGeeks & Google Search. Surprised me! I got back online & submitted my post to TimW in Malware forum and shut it down.

This morning it did the same thing early on so I decided to just run it in 'Safe Mode' for a while and try some things....

• I have since 'uninstalled' Private Firewall - whether or not it was the culprit. I would like someone to suggest an alternative other than Comodo, unless it's less resource-heavy than the last time I tried it - PLEASE ;)
    • I have updated all of my software & all of my drivers that I'm aware of or that I use
    • did some Windows troubleshooting in Safe Mode. Control Panel\Problem Reports and Solutions. Found 6 problems, reported to Microsoft, No Solutions - love it! Attached a text report. Two of them were a software I don't use and it wanted me to update it - removed it instead - unrelated. Another was a software to analyze drive that Major Geeks recommended but that Windows doesn't recognize driver {Everest} - ran the report & removed that now. so that leaves the 2 Windows issues that are the BSOD's. Sent off to Windows.

Also, said to try same issues in Safe Mode for 'process of elimination'.
    * I'm able to open photos on my computer in safe mode and manipulate in my photo program.
    ** It allowed me to cut & copy/paste photos from my SD card to my flash drive without crashing, in safe mode.
    *** I went online using my Google Browser, checked email, etc. ...no crashes using Safe Mode.

Anything else you need I'll provide immediately. Thanks, in advance, for your help!
    :grouphug

I'm attaching:
    1. Everest Report for documentation on my computer - it wouldn't let me attach this because it's already been uploaded in my previous thread in the Malware forum
    2. WhoCrashed Report
    3. Text Report of Windows Problems & Solutions

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

You forgot the logs after all that but no worries yet.

First thoughts, as you had ZoneAlarm in the original logs in the Malware thread, fully uninstall ZA - it (and many other security software) is notorious for not fully removing itself, leading to many 'clashes', crashes and bluescreens down the line; links for removal tools here (do the same for PF now that it's been removed and any other old security software, too.): http://carrona.org/avuninst.html

3. imcaf_fl

imcaf_fl Private E-2

Hi and thanks for your prompt reply.

I did use an uninstall program - "Iobit Uninstaller". After the uninstall it asks if you want to do a "Powerful Scan" to scan for leftover items in the hard drive and registry? Which I always do. It said there were no traces of either ZoneAlarm or PrivateFirewall.

But I'll go ahead and use the tools provided and double-check. I'd rather be certain at this point. Can you suggest a firewall in the meantime. I have no interest in using Windows Defender - Thanks again,

Cheryl :cool

4. satrow

Generic uninstallers are rarely as good as the specific tools for the job ;)

I can't seem to find any full removal tool or uninstall routine for PF, in my use of it, about 2 years, it was well-behaved and I'm pretty sure it uninstalled cleanly anyway, as did the infrequent auto-uninstall/upgrades.

I think PF is probably the better free firewall available now, less likely to cause issues, not too difficult to setup compared to most of the others; PCTools firewall would have been a reasonable alternative but Symantec are about to pull the plug on all PCTools software.

I'm now relying on the built-in Windows 7 firewall but I do have a long list of other, passive as well as active, defences in place.

5. imcaf_fl

imcaf_fl Private E-2

Hi,
    I also couldn't find any full removal tool for PF. I downloaded and used ZAclean & since I had also previously used IoBit Defender, Downloaded and used Bit Remover.

Did you have a chance to read the Crash report I sent? Do you think PF had anything to do with any of the problems... or what's the deal with that? And I run Vista, not Windows 7... so I don't believe the built-in is very well trusted.

I think I ran PC Tools once before, can't remember why it wasn't my fav.

Anyway, everything is done. Should I attempt to do what I was doing before and see if I crash? If I continue doing this stuff am I going to damage my computer?

Thanks for your help,
    Cheryl - who's been pulling her hair out...:confused

6. imcaf_fl

imcaf_fl Private E-2

Crap. Just saw the note about the logs. I uploaded them... where'd the go?
    Geez..............

Attached Files:

7. satrow

Your hair is looking good, Cheryl ;)

I just looked at the WhoCrashed log, I had looked at an earlier one too; the crashes are 0x3B = SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION Usual causes: System service, Device driver, graphics driver, ?memory. The Parameter 1 for each of them was 0xC5 = memory access violation.

I interpret that to mean roughly: something interfered with the memory space allocated to something else. So my diagnosis is that even though PF got a mention, it was no more the culprit than was the Windows kernel which was also listed.

So, we're looking for 'something', usually a driver, that isn't being listed in the immediate history of those crashes (the crash 'dumps' that WhoCrashed checks).

I don't think that you had these crashes before you began the Malware topic was started, during that topic you removed ZA - ZA can be very buggy to remove and a real PIT whatnot when it leaves 'something' behind.

If you like, I could analyse those dumps further. They should be in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder, copy them to your Desktop then right-click them, select Send to > Compressed folder. That will create a new zip on your Desktop, attach that zip to your reply, please.

Anyway, carry on testing the computer, mash that keyboard and do whatever it was that crashed it before. Oh, and check that the Windows firewall is on - in Control Panel.

8. imcaf_fl

imcaf_fl Private E-2

HA! If you could see me now... lol. Okay, Windows firewall is on & I've attached the zipped minidump folder. Yes, please help with this.

In the meantime I'm going to try to crash my computer - something i never thought I'd say ...........

roflmao

see ya later... maybe with good news. Oh, and unless you're only good with software, think about what kind of laptop to recommend too, lol -
    pre-built
    not a lot of money
    wireless connection a must of course
    photo manipulation
    small office software

one recommendation I got was Asus

~Cheryl

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds