NTSF Partition corrupted, now shows RAW 0 bytes

Discussion in 'Software' started by JamusDemus, Aug 24, 2012.

1. JamusDemus

JamusDemus Private E-2

I'm not sure what happened. I thought it may be an MBR malware, or a computer virus, but before I could scan anything it stopped booting into windows. The system recovery option had no effect.

I hooked it up as an external. I see 3 partitions, the recovery partition, the tools partition, but are showing correctly and accessable. However the primary partition is now showing up as RAW instead of NTSF and registering 0 byes, with no files or folders. When I look at it in Computer Management, it says the partition in question has 460 GB allocated to it.

I've tried several different programs to repair MBR, data recovery and partition repairing. I've tried using Disk Doctor, EasesUS and others to no luck.

My goal is to save data on the drive. Getting it to work again would be nice but not important. Both computers run Windows 7.

2. gvstn

gvstn Private E-2

Try Partition Wizard installed on the working computer.

You want to follow this guide: http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html With the drive connected as an external. Select the proper disk.

Use the Full Disc and Quick Scan options.

How many partitions does it find? If only the three then you want to double click the large Windows partition to see if it gives you a list of files as you would expect with a Windows folder and Users folder etc.

If that looks correct then check all three boxes to keep the three partitions and click Finish. If the Apply button is now clickable in the main window then click that. Close the program and reboot. Check Disk Management and see if the missing partition is now NTFS.

If it lists deleted/lost partitions but more than the three you would expect, post back. Basically looking at the starting and ending LBAs you don't want any overlapping. So the first partition ends at LBA 2064 so you want the next partition in the list to start at LBA 2065 or above then that partition ends at LBA 5000 so you want the third to start at 5001. If the list includes overlapping partitions then don't check the boxes and don't hit Finish. Post back with what it does find.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds