IE Quit Working After Running SpyBot

Discussion in 'Software' started by bestbett, May 8, 2004.

1. bestbett

bestbett Private E-2

Help! IE 6 quit working after I ran SpyBot 1.2. I'm running Win XP Home Edition, 1.5 GHz Athalon, 480 Mg RAM w/ a broadband connection, cable modem.

IE opens fine, but cannot find ANY pages, not my home page, Hotmail, Yahoo, anything. Outlook works fine. So far, all other programs I've tried seem to be working fine. It's just IE.

I seem to recall reading about somebody having the same problem with SpyBot, but I cannot find where I saw it. Guess it was not here, since I couldn't find it with a search. Can anybody help me with this? It's driving me nuts!

2. bern

bern Sergeant

try do a repair on ie6. i use spybot all the time and touch wood no probs yet

3. bestbett

bestbett Private E-2

I tried that. No luck. However, after working on the problem all last night and all morning long, I finally stumbled across the (simple!) solution. SpyBot had -- for whatever reason -- changed my LAN settings to say that I was using a proxy server, which I was not, had removed the "Automatically detect network settings" checkmark, and had changed "Never dial a connection" to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present."

Once I corrected the LAN settings, IE was right back to normal. In the year or so that I've been using SpyBot, this is the first time I've ever had a problem from it and it really threw me. Of course, the solution was so simple, I'd completely overlooked it.

4. bern

bern Sergeant

first time i have heard of that. but glad to hear that you sorted the prob out. great stuff!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds