Connecting another PC to broadband connection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brendanClay, Oct 11, 2005.

1. brendanClay

brendanClay Private E-2

Hello there all. I do apologise to throw this one out to everyone first off the bat, I'm a newbie here!

My query is in regards to connecting another PC (not currently connected to a network,) to a PC with a broadband connection.

My scenario is that I have a studio PC connected to my turntables, mixer in which I wish to host an Internetradio show from. However, this studio PC is nto currently connected to the upstairs PC (which has broadband connection,) and it's has no connection or access to a phone line of it's own.

I have considered wireless, but I don't particularly want to fork out the required amount at this stage when I'm only broadcasting for a couple of hours a week.
    I plan to run some sort of cord down to the studio, I'm just wondering where it would need to come from and what type of cord it needs to be.

The studio PC does have a network card, and the modem used upstairs is a NetComm NB1300 Ethernet.

Any help is well appreciated! Cheers in advance,
    Brendan.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You will need 3 lengths of straight-through cat5 cable. For a forward thinking technician, you might want to get cat5e, which will support gigabit ethernet, if you plan to upgrade, although this isn't necessary for your purposes.
    You will also need a router. 1 length of cable will connect the modem to the router, and the other two will connect the computers to the router.

Then comes the configuration. The best bet is to run the network setup wizard on both machines. You will need to post what operating systems you are using for more detailed descriptions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds