Connecting notebook to broadband connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimrod, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jimrod

jimrod Private E-2

Hi, not sure what I have to do here. The situation: I live in Asia and will be visiting the UK for a couple of weeks. Where I will be staying has a Broadband connection. I suspect it will be a routine modem provided by the supplier.
    I am taking my notebook and feel sure there is a way to run a connection from the house PC and one from the notebook(Wi Fi enabled)
    I just don't know how and what I need to make it happen. But if I did need to buy something, I suspect it would be cheaper in Asia(and the cheapest option is a must, far more than quality of service)

Thanks in advance

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If your PC is WIFi enable there would not be a problem.

Howvevr make sure that you have a Laptop Charger that can work with the UK Outlet Voltage, and that the wall plug is compatible.

:)

3. jimrod

jimrod Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. But could you tell me the process I need to follow? Remember the modem will not be a wireless one. I was sure I needed some gadgets to make it work.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Jim you may need to check with where your staying IF the modem box they have is a joint Modem/Router and if it has more than one ethernet port on it, so that it can allow more than one PC to be connected.

I take it you'd not need a ISP and you'll be using the one the house has already?

Is their ISPs service Cable or ADSL?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds