Laptop batteries

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lance Bombardier, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Lance Bombardier

Lance Bombardier Private First Class

This may be well known, but I am told by an electronic engineer that it's a good move to take out your battery when working at home.
    He tells me that each time you switch on while connected to the power counts as a charge, and there are a finite number of charges for each battery.
    I've only just found this out so I haven't got any real evidence.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Hi, L B. (long time no see) :D

Some laptops will not operate on AC without the battery attached. My old Gateway was one in particular.
    I haven't tried it with my Toshiba laptop yet.
    Must give it a go, as I operate on AC most of the time. Bazza

===

4. bigbazza

Update;
    My new Toshiba laptop will operate on AC without the battery. :cool:

Trouble is every time I disconnect it from the port replicator, various problems appear (with or without battery). I've gotta nail down these problems first.
    Toshiba don't mention in their manual, running a laptop on AC without the battery.
    Bazza

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

To prolong battery life, avoid partial charging. I think that's what your engineer buddy was referring to. Hooking to the "mains" should only be done when the Low-Battery Warning is showing. This will maximize the life of your battery. If you're lucky enough to be able to run without a battery - that's another solution. When batteries began to cost some serious coin at our firm, it was decided that each laptop user would be given 2 batteries and an external charger. For some models we had to "build" a charger because the external charger wasn't available. Our employees were instructed to run the battery down before plugging in a fresh one. The data showed an increase in battery life of 5 fold. So your engineer buddy is on to something! :)

6. bigbazza

Further update.
    I am now running my TOSHIBA laptop on AC power, by default, without the battery.:)
    Thanks to those who prodded me into giving it a try.:cool:
    Obviously, if I loose power I loose work, so that is one major consideration, still most desktop PC owners face this possibilty every time they use their PC.
    Most do not have a UPS.
    Bazza

===

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Your laptop should run cooler to Bazza, without the battery. I never use my battery unless I have too. :)

Steve

8. bigbazza

Thanks, Steve. Just out of curiousity I ran EVEREST just now.
    Everest Home Edition. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    It is actually 1 degree hotter but that maybe because I shifted my laptop a little bit close to the edge of my computer desk (with sides). I have no heating problems, anyway, compared to others that I have read here. It runs at 35 degrees C (approx 98º F) nearly all the time. Bazza

PS: Temp at the moment is 37º C Baz
    ===

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I would leave it out if not using it. I know mine runs cooler most of the time. :)

On a side note. I don't know if you saw this link I posted one day so I will list it again. It's really a good place for laptop issues, repair, etc. He has alot of stuff on Toshiba's, if you ever need it.

http://www.laptoprepairguy.com/

Steve

10. bigbazza

Thanks Steve, will check out that link. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds