XP Problems After Power Cut

Discussion in 'Software' started by kpjazzy, Mar 4, 2010.

1. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

Had a series of about 20 power cuts today around the house, (each time they happened my PC was turned off and on).

Since it happened, i'm having serious problems running XP. It takes about 30x longer to boot up.. once I get in, it freezes after login screen.. then it kinda comes through after about 5 minutes but fails to process anything or load my icons/start menu properly.

It runs fine in safe mode, like lightning and my files are all intact and the hard drive appears healthy. I defragged in safe mode, attempted to system restore but found that system restore on my machine is disabled and can only be turned on in normal mode!

I also ran an anti-virus scan in safe mode and found a generic trojan loop.exe which has now been removed.

Just not really sure what to do now.. i've tried "Last good configuration" and norton disk doctor from a boot CD which came back with no errors. Also, I did msconfig and took out most of my startup & services, but still the same problem persists.

I'm using XP SP3, intel quadcore processor, 4 gig RAM

Anyone have an idea of possible fixes?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Have you checked XP's Event Viewer? You can run it in Safe Mode.

Start > Run > type eventvwr.msc > OK

Look for errors in the Applications and System pages. You can double click an error to get more info, and at top right there is a copy icon which you can use to put the info on your clipboard and paste it here if necessary.

Sounds as if there will be plenty to go at!

3. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

thx, i didn't know about the eventvwr.. here's what's been going on

SYSTEM

Server

The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8D5F2090-468C-4400-9561-778BE3B79196}.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

DHCP

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00173F630969. The IP address being used is 169.254.60.11.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00173F630969. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Harddisk

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

^^ this one happened a lot

nvgts

The device, \Device\Scsi\nvgts1, did not respond within the timeout period.

ntfs

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Application
    -----------

Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.5508, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5755, fault address 0x0004482a.

userenv

Windows couldn't log the RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) session status. An attempt to connect to WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will be done for this application of policy.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would from a command prompt run CHKDSK /F /R C: and double check there are no errors on the HDD.

Whats your PC make and model if from the likes of HP, DELL etc? or if a home build whats the make and model of the Motherboad? as I would try installing the chipset driver again. Possibly try the main C: drive plugged into a different SATA/IDE port to test if a port/controller has been damaged.

5. Earthling

I wouldn't want you to get the impression I know how to address every error in the event viewer - anything but :-D

However from that lot the hard disk error has to be the first to address. Have you run chkdsk? If not it's Start > Run > type chkdsk /r > Enter

This will call for a reboot and check and attempt to correct any disk errors, including those on bad sectors.

Good luck with it.

oops - Halo types a lot quicker than me ;)

6. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

7. kpjazzy

kpjazzy Private E-2

Yo
    Just ran chkdsk and that enabled me to boot normally.. still had crashing problems straight afterwards so I did as Halo suggest and got the latest chipset drivers. I'm back in operation now it seems, everything is also running much faster than before which is a nice suprise. I dunno if that was due to the disk defrag or the new chipset drivers but i'm enjoying it :p

Thanks for the help it's been a nightmare but looks like it's now sorted

8. Earthling

A good result! :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds