Virus Detected. AVG Anti Virus System

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tipan, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Tipan

Tipan Private E-2

os win xp
    I have two hd drives C and D
    My AVG scans daily. On my initial scan after downloading it got rid of all found viruses. On the second and subsequent daily scans it detects the
    I-worm/klez h virus on 8 files on my D drive but does not get rid of them or tell me how to do it manually.
    I have never intenionally downloaded anything to my D drive as I have only used 1/3 of my available space on my C drive
    On opening my D drive I find there are 8 files there all are RAR files and are the 8 files detected by the avg virus system.
    When I try and open these files I am told that I need to download the programme tht created it.
    Although these files/Virus do not at the moment appear to affect my computer in any way I would like to delete them, can i send them off to the recycle bin as i have no programme to delete.
    Will appreciate if somebody can help, thanks

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Make sure you keep AVG updated to the latest definitions!

Those RAR files are compressed archives, Winrar is a program that can open them.

Stinger is a free utility that should get rid of the klez virus (among others), but I'm not sure if it will scan inside RAR archives... You can try it and if it cleans them fine, if not and you really don't have a need for them you can permanently delete them by selecting them, then pressing Shift-Delete.

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)

3. Tipan

Tipan Private E-2

Alanc, thanks your prompt responce
    No anti virus programmes I have tried cannot scan inside these files
    AVG cleared the same type virus from my c drive
    So I will delete them as you suggest
    Thanks again, you are most helpful
    Taipan

4. Tipan

Tipan Private E-2

Thanks to you guys who responded to my query.
    I deleted the files in question.
    Thanks you have both been most helpful
    Tipan

5. Tipan

Tipan Private E-2

I downloaded avast as suggested, because even after deleting the files(ctrl-del) they are still appearing.
    Scanning with avast I get a clean report but the programme only appears to scan my C drive and not my second drive D. where the infected files, according to AVG are. How can I get Avast to scan my D Drive.?
    WIsh I could get rid of these critters.
    Help will be appreciated
    Tipan

6. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Click on the folder icon (see screenshot) and select the drives to scan, then move the slider to 'thorough scan.' Make sure you disable System Restore and reboot before you scan, then re-enable only after you're sure you're clean.

For a second opinion, visit http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Attached Files:

7. Tipan

Tipan Private E-2

Virus detected AVG Antivirus System

Thank you all appears clear now thank you.
    As you can gather I am vermuch a beginner and would like some advice.
    I am now running both Avg and avast and appears these two programmes are not compatible In your opinion which one should I delete.
    I am certainly impressed with Avast, and think would be my choice.
    Your advice will certainly be appreciated.
    Thnx
    Tipan

8. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Yeah, it's not really a good idea to have two AVs running at the same time.

I've tried them both and I like Avast, for a freebie it can't be beat IMO. Plus AVG has been having problems with it's auto-updates as of late, so Avast gets my vote.

9. Tipan

Tipan Private E-2

Virus detected AVG Antivirus systems

Alanc.
    Advice taken Thanks a lot
    What a great site this is and to find people so willing to help. Thanks
    Tipan

10. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

You're welcome. You can learn alot hangin out here :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds